Thermo Fisher is looking for an IP Counsel to work in its Hillsboro, Oregon, office. When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher, you’ll do important work, supporting our R&D teams who are helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
What you'll do
Under the direction of the Division Intellectual Property Counsel and as part of a small group, the IP Counsel will primarily provide patent drafting and prosecution support to the Materials, Scientific, Process and Environmental Instruments businesses, including research and development centers located in Europe as well as in the United States.
Located at the Hillsboro, Oregon division headquarters, there will also be opportunity to work on diverse legal matters such as business-strategic protection of IP, licensing, IP litigation management/support, and dispute settlement. Approximately 20% domestic and European travel is required.
How you'll get here
- BS or higher degree in physical sciences or a related engineering discipline
- JD in law, licensed to practice in at least one US jurisdiction
- Registered as patent attorney at USPTO with 5+ years of experience in US patent prosecution and IP legal practice
- Experience in US patent litigation, European patent practice, patent portfolio development, licensing, and enforcement in a corporate context is highly desirable
- Experience in international IP law and international trade preferred
Other Required Skills:
- Demonstrated ability to write clear patent applications, amendments, legal and business documents
- Demonstrated ability to efficiently prosecute patent applications while maintaining strategic focus of original filing
- Strong oral communication skills
- Ability to analyze patentability and patent freedom-to-operate matters
- Technical competence in one or more of the following fields: Scientific instruments, Optics, Physics, Chemistry, or comparable technologies, and demonstrated ability to learn new scientific and technological fields relevant to Thermo Fisher product offerings
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status
Go to http://adtrk.tw/Bah0 to apply.
Employer Type: Large Corporation
Job Location: Hillsboro, Oregon