BASF is seeking a Counsel, I.P. or Senior Patent Agent. Responsibilities include managing a global patent portfolio in line with the Global IP Strategy, including:
- Obtain robust patent protection for critical technologies and products with limited to no supervision.
- Act as IP project leader for individual research projects, global business units, and operating divisions; identify and articulate opportunities for patent protection; and develop, advocate, and implement patent strategies.
- Lead patent portfolio reviews with business units and operating divisions.
- Independently draft, file, and prosecute patent applications before the USPTO, including conducting examiner interviews and negotiations with the agency, with limited or no supervision.
- Directly manage and provide detailed filing and prosecution instructions and drafts to U.S. and foreign patent counsel.
- Prepare and manage the patent portfolio budget, aligning with business unit and operating division goals, and proactively seeking cost saving measures without compromising quality or patent scope.
- Conduct competitive analysis of patent portfolios with a detailed understanding of BASF products and technical developments.
- Provide training on IP issues to R&D and business colleagues.
- Provide patentability advice with limited to no supervision, conduct (under direction and supervision of counsel) analyses, including infringement and validity assessments, and perform landscape analyses.
- Support patent-related due diligence for commercial transactions, such as collaborations and licensing.
- Effectively communicate with IP colleagues, businesses (e.g., IP Managers, management, R&D) in Germany and other global sites at all levels in the organization, regarding patent matters, departmental and overall BASF processes, and to proactively address other concerns.
Ingredients for Success: What We Look for in You…
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemical Arts or a related discipline; advanced degree preferred.
- A minimum of 8 years of relevant work experience on Intellectual Property and/or legal teams.
- Registration before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO).
- In-depth understanding of US patent law, and general knowledge of foreign patent laws, including Europe and Asia.
- Self-starter as well as team player, working well with other patent practitioners and support staff.
- Excellent organizational, communication, and writing skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a changing environment, prioritize demands, and use keen judgment.
- Proficiency in working with intellectual asset management software (e.g., Anaqua), the USPTO Electronic Filing System (EFS), and PAIR.
- Experience in the chemical industry, particularly related to catalysts (e.g. emission catalysts) and related devices.
- Background in a corporate environment preferred, including experience working with various functional groups, building strong and enduring relationships.
- Experience in intellectual property post-grant procedures and litigation.
- Transactional and contract experience, particularly as it relates to protection of intellectual property and due diligence.
- Practical laboratory experience in chemistry or a related field.
Relocation assistance is available for this position.
To apply, please visit this website: https://on.basf.com/2yPhfNj.
Employer Type: Large Corporation
Job Location: Florham Park, New Jersey or Tarrytown, New York