Aspen Aerogels Inc. is seeking a Patent Attorney with at least 5 years of experience in patent preparation and prosecution to be based out of our Northborough, MA headquarters. The Patent Attorney will be responsible for helping the company articulate and implement optimum patent strategies; will be a critical member of the legal team supporting the innovation oriented technology company. Key attributes include a solid patent law background, self-driven and established success in patent portfolio creation and management in a collaborative environment.
The Patent Attorney’s primary responsibilities include:
- Identify and articulate IP opportunities in the Company’s R&D, Process and Product Development and other business functions, and assist in implementing the IP strategy.
- Perform prior art searches, articulate patentability, prepare, file and prosecute patent applications at the USPTO.
- Identify IP issues and advise on appropriate responses to third party actions, including performing relevant FTO analyses.
- Manage foreign patent and trademark procurement activities.
- Effective use patent/trademark databases to navigate the IP work flow along with support staff.
- Develop policies and procedures to ensure an appropriate IP protection in different business activities.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelors degree in engineering or natural sciences (preferably in materials, chemistry or chemical engineering).
- Masters degree is a plus, but not required.
- A JD from a recognized US law school and an active State bar admission.
- USPTO registration is required.
- 5+ years patent procurement experience in a law firm or in-house environment.
- IP related transactional practice.
- Experience managing foreign patent portfolio.
- Exposure to trademark issues
The successful candidate will have:
- An ability to articulate complex technical/legal analysis and arguments orally and in writing.
- A flexible and proactive approach to problem solving.
- An ability to thrive on challenge and react promptly and positively to a fast-paced work culture.
- Current knowledge of substantive and procedural requirements for filings (including electronic) with the USPTO and PCT practice.
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability collaborate across the company and with outside and foreign counsel to produce tangible results.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to manage and drive projects and tasks with high attention to detail.
- Must be able to work in a demanding environment with shifting priorities and deadlines.
- Demonstrates high integrity and strong work ethic.
Aspen Aerogels, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/
Aspen Aerogels, Inc. is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to email@example.com or call (508) 466-3111 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
To apply, please visit this website and submit your resume and cover letter: https://www.aerogel.com/.
Employer Type: Small Corporation
Job Location: Northborough, Massachusetts