Scripps Research is seeking a Patent Counsel (Organic Chemistry) to work in its San Diego offices.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Prepare and prosecute assigned patent applications in field of expertise
- Work with Chief Patent Counsel to develop IP prosecution strategies
- Interview inventors to collect disclosure information
- Provide prosecution support for other staff attorneys and assist co-counsel in interference and litigation proceedings
- Assist in management of Office of Patent Counsel (OPC) staff and projects
- Review assigned contracts for IP-related issues including licenses, MTZ, RFOA, NDA and collaboration agreements and utilize legal expertise to advise on recommendations for improvement
- Manage assigned Authorizations of Unlicensed Matters
- Conduct art searches
- Instruct outside patent counsel on licensed matters
- Interface with Scripps Research employees of all levels including executives, faculty, and administrative staff
- Communicate and negotiate with outside companies, universities & institutes on patent-related matters
- Execute documents on behalf of Office of Patent Counsel (OPC) for Scripps Research
Identifies, researches and thoroughly assesses pertinent facts and material information to provide recommendations for action to TSRI Executive management. Establishes and/or refines procedural systems to accomplish effective compliance, disclosure, reporting and training programs for TSRI faculty and staff.
Scope and Complexity:
Works on multiple, diverse and complex issues where in-depth analysis of a variety of factors is required. Demonstrates sound judgment and a strong understanding of professional concepts and applicable federal and state laws.
Supervision of Others:
Will have no direct reports initially but will be expected to demonstrate leadership and cross-functional supervision on project teams and in the course of discharging responsibilities and duties. May supervise outside counsel on select matters.
To apply, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry or similar field is preferred.
Employer Type: Non-Profit
Job Location: San Diego, California