Seattle Genetics is seeking a Director/Sr. Director, Intellectual Property to work in its Bothell, Washington offices. The is a senior level attorney position in the IP function of the Legal Affairs team at Seattle Genetics, with wide-ranging responsibilities uniquely available in a successful, growth phase biotechnology company. The position includes responsibility for helping to build global intellectual property portfolios through strategic procurement and management of IP rights, as well as providing people leadership.
Initiatives for Medicines, Access and Knowledge is seeking a Patent Attorney.
Who We Are
We are a deeply committed, passionate and talented team of professionals, working together to develop and pursue large-scale social change. We work every day to increase access to affordable, lifesaving medicines by restoring integrity to the patent system. We at I-MAK believe:
- The patent system was designed to balance the invention of medicines and the dissemination of new treatments to society.
- The current patent system disproportionately represents and upholds private interests over the public good. This can and must change.
- Such change should be informed by patients' needs.
- Armed with the best evidence, our lawyers, scientists and health experts are giving the public a voice in a system that impacts their health and lives.
What You’ll Do
As a Patent Attorney, you’ll report to our Director of Intellectual Property / Co-Founder, and work closely with our Legal / Scientific Team to enhance I-MAK’s ability to successfully navigate the patent space both in terms of legal program implementation and legal strategy development. Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Legal Programs: Support I-MAK's technical work of patent landscapes, validity assessments and related efforts, including:
- Creating or checking patent landscapes
- Conducting patentability and freedom to operate reviews
- Reviewing patent challenges filed and litigation conducted by various stakeholders including generic companies in different jurisdictions (including Europe and the U.S.)
- Reviewing and searching for prior art (including existing prior art) to assist in preparing petitions, especially as it relates to identifying opportunities to strengthen I-MAK's legal arguments
- Preparing memorandums summarizing and analyzing matters relating to patents and public health, including reviewing any questions from I-MAK related to strategy, law, procedure and prior art identified
- Providing overall legal review and policy advice on issues such as legal standing
- Preparing legal challenges and related witness declarations
- Providing technical support on ongoing cases, including reviewing responses from the PTAB, patent holder and preparing legal responses under deadline
- Managing a global case load, including reviewing legal drafts prepared by local attorneys, legal strategy and staying abreast of international patent law developments
- Reviewing and providing analysis of licensing agreements
- Working with Legal Team to create policy documents setting out a vision for reform relating to the patent system and alternative policy solutions for R&D and access
- Legal Strategy & Implementation
- Working with the co-founders and relevant staff members, lead the development of legal strategy focused on engaging stakeholders including goals, timelines, recommended approaches and action items, risks and opportunities analysis, etc.
- Based on strategy, begin execution of activities such as developing preparatory components, meeting with key stakeholders and/or advising on media strategy related to patent stakeholders
- Capacity Building & Coordination
- Keep up to date with latest case law and developments on pharmaceutical patents
- Provide ongoing capacity building to co-Founders and staff on US law and procedures
- Work with team to maintain organization of documentation/analysis and to ensure work-plans, timelines and donor reporting stay consistently on track
Ad hoc support as needed across the organization including reviewing materials for legal accuracy, providing input into Organizational Strategy, Development, Communications, Media Relations, etc. as well as administrative compliance and team engagement.
Who You Are
To be successful in this role, you will have a belief in the mission and values of I-MAK and a:
- J.D and admission before a State bar
- 5+ years of industry or law firm experience
- Registered patent attorney
- Experience with international patent laws is preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry, or relevant scientific field preferred
What Else You Should Know
This is a full time position based in NYC requiring 10%-25% travel.
Please send resume, cover letter, salary requirements and where you heard about the position to firstname.lastname@example.org with Patent Attorney in the subject line.
Employer Type: Non-Profit
Job Location: New York, New York