The Office of General Counsel at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute seeks an attorney to join the team as an Intellectual Property Counsel. The Office of General Counsel is a full-service law department consisting of 9 attorneys serving the Institute and its affiliates. The ideal candidate should have approximately 4+ years of experience in life science-focused patent counseling and prosecution practice. The Intellectual Property Counsel will work both in support of more senior attorneys and independently to provide intellectual property counseling and portfolio management services to the Institute.
- Work collaboratively with and in support of the Chief Intellectual Property Counsel and other senior attorneys in the Office of General Counsel.
- Extensive interaction required with senior administrative, research, and medical staff throughout the Institute and with outside companies and outside counsel.
- Review intellectual property disclosures and interviewing participants.
- Conduct prior art searches and analyzing patent and scientific papers and documents.
- Render legal opinions with respect to patentability, validity, and freedom to operate.
- Formulate publication and patent strategies.
- Prepare and file emergency provisional patent applications.
- Advise internal clients on patent filing, prosecution, maintenance, and defense.
- Instruct and supervise international patent preparation and prosecution.
- Understand assignment obligations and supervising assignment recordation.
- Conduct due diligence assessments and providing intellectual property support for transactional projects.
- Perform timely review of publication and Freedom of Information Act requests.
- Build and manage external relationships with outside counsel and collaborators.
- Supervise Patent Technology Specialists and support staff.
- J.D. required.
- 4+ years of relevant experience required, preferably in a law firm or corporate setting.
- Broad scientific knowledge in chemistry, biotechnology, or a related field required
- Must be registered to practice before the U.S. Patent Office.
- Computer skills needed include Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Excel).
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent attention to detail and research abilities.
- Exceptional organization skills and ability to prioritize tasks.
- Strong client service skills and professionalism.
- Discretion, diplomacy, and good judgment.
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute is an equal opportunity employer and affirms the right of every qualified applicant to receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability, age, ancestry, military service, protected veteran status, or other groups as protected by law.
To apply, please visit: https://careers-dfci.icims.com/jobs/17764/intellectual-%20property-counsel-%E2%80%93-%20prosecution/job
Employer Type: Non-Profit
Job Location: Boston, MA