Mintz is looking for a Patent Agent with a Ph.D. in the biological sciences to join our San Francisco office. Ideal candidates will have a minimum of 5 years of experience.
Patent Agents work under the supervision and guidance of partners in our Intellectual Property section and perform a variety of patent-related activities, primarily in the areas of patent prosecution, freedom to operate analysis, and due diligence work. Specific duties include the following:
- Work with clients on innovative and cutting-edge biotechnology to procure patent protection and build IP portfolios.
- Work with scientists and/or inventors to draft patent applications.
- Draft Office Action responses and prosecute patent applications.
- Manage IP portfolios and coordinate worldwide prosecution with foreign associates in various foreign jurisdictions.
- Assess scientific literature, patents and patent application documents in a variety of biology fields.
- Assist with IP diligence on biotech initial public offerings (IPO) and other capital markets transactions.
- Work with venture capitalists on IP diligence for potential investments.
- Work on IP landscapes to identify third-party patents and patent applications.
- Ph.D. degree in the biological life science areas (bioinformatics, data science and machine learning are a plus but not required)
- 5+ years of patent prosecution experience preferred.
- Ability to analyze scientific papers and/or patent references and present ideas, legal and scientific reasoning and conclusions in both verbal and written format.
- Demonstrate skills to present scientific concepts, analysis/reasoning, and conclusions to wide audiences, including scientists and non-scientists.
- Ability to multi-task by working with different clients and different projects.
- Collaborate with colleagues on various projects.
- Adapt effectively in different team environments.
Please include a resume, cover letter, and transcript(s) with your submission.
Employer Type: Law Firm
Job Location: San Francisco, California