Lilly is seeking an experienced and strategic patent attorney focused on providing solutions-oriented advice and counselling for issues facing Lilly in discovery, development and commercialization of pharmaceutical products. Individual must be energized by working in a dynamic environment with broad responsibility. This position reports to a Sr. Director – General Patent Counsel in the corresponding therapeutic area, either Diabetes or Biomedicines, and requires close collaboration with other members of the Lilly Legal Patent team and business leadership.
- Draft and prosecute pharmaceutical patent applications in all jurisdictions, primarily related to small molecules in accordance with business requirements, patent laws and Lilly policies and procedures.
- Proactively analyze risks and develop sound strategic and tactical approaches/solutions with appropriate consideration of business objectives and the environment.
- Advise teams and senior management about exclusivity, freedom to operate, due diligence, contract, licensing, and litigation risks in a manner consistent with the law, ethics, and Lilly policies; communicate advice in a clear and concise manner.
- Develop, coordinate, support and, optionally, lead inter and ex parte challenges in all jurisdictions related to Lilly and/or third-party portfolios.
- Participate and contribute to overall strategy established through departmental guidance forums related to patent procurement or litigation strategies.
- Lead with a continuous improvement mindset by remaining well versed in global laws, court precedents, and regulations pertinent to pharmaceutical products; apply knowledge appropriately in carrying out individual responsibilities as well as opportunities within the team and organization.
- Prioritize, lead, and manage projects; contribute to the implementation of new policies and procedures; lead task-directed teams.
- Contribute to efficiency, collegiality, and collaboration.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in a scientific field that together with prior work experience, provides sufficient background for effective communication with scientists and management about scientific aspects of discovery, development, and commercialization of small molecule products.
- Doctor of Jurisprudence (J.D.) degree from an accredited U.S. institution.
Minimum of four years of post-JD experience as a patent attorney in a law firm or industry.
- At least 4 years of experience preparing and prosecuting patent applications relating to small molecules, and some experience preparing and prosecuting peptide and biologic (large molecule) patent applications.
- Presently admitted to practice law in at least one US jurisdiction and presently licensed to represent clients in patent matters before the USPTO; in good standing in each state and in the USPTO; no discipline issues on record.
- Highly motivated and collaborative partner with the ability to work effectively with team members and members of management across all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrated leadership and effectiveness in working with senior leadership
- Experience in the pharmaceutical industry in a scientific position in drug discovery or development, or demonstrated significant experience with and knowledge of drug discovery and development, and/or with patent litigation relating to pharmaceutical products.
- Innovative and proactively identifies opportunities and looks for new, creative solutions.
- Ability to influence and lead boldly in a dynamic environment.
- High learning agility, including: creatively solving problems; having ability to deal with complexity; commitment to expand knowledge and adapt to a changing environment; and having the ability to make the complex understandable.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to influence others.
- Demonstrated ability to appropriately handle confidential information
Office work located at Lilly Corporate Center primarily supporting groups located at Lilly Corporate Center and Lilly Technology Center (Indianapolis) and Lilly Biotechnology Center (San Diego). Travel is usually not significant (0-5%), but travel could become more significant (10-20%) intermittently for internal/external requirements.
Eli Lilly and Company, Lilly USA, LLC and our wholly owned subsidiaries (collectively “Lilly”) are committed to help individuals with disabilities to participate in the workforce and ensure equal opportunity to compete for jobs. If you require an accommodation to submit a resume for positions at Lilly, please email Lilly Human Resources ( Lilly_Recruiting_Compliance@lists.lilly.com ) for further assistance. Please note This email address is intended for use only to request an accommodation as part of the application process. Any other correspondence will not receive a response.
Lilly is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Employer Type: Large Corporation
Job Location: Indianapolis, IN