Knobbe Martens provides an opportunity for engineers and scientists to further their professional growth and career development in exciting, challenging ways. Put your technical degree to work on issues involving science, technology, and the law. The candidate will assist with the successful procurement of patent protection for innovative technologies, evaluate the designs of new products, and assist with the evaluation of competitor products.
Each client brings novel and diverse technologies to our firm. Therefore, the candidate will learn about a variety of new technologies, learn to identify inventive features, learn to describe the inventions, and work with the Patent Office to allow a patent for the technology. The position also requires a candidate to possess the ability to explain and describe new technologies in a way that is concise and descriptive.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Reviewing new client technologies to determine potentially patentable features.
- Writing patent applications with clarity and technical accuracy.
- Drafting persuasive responses to patent office rejections.
- Reviewing issued patents.
To be successful in this position the candidate must be a strong communicator, both written and oral. The candidate must be able to work independently, with a large amount of working freedom. In addition, each candidate will eventually participate in a patent law course and become registered with the United States Patent Office.
Education and Experience:
- Ph.D. in Optics, Electrical Engineering with concentration on lasers/photonics, or Physics is required.
- Patent prosecution experience is preferred.
- Must be independently motivated to succeed and measure success on a team level.
- Qualified candidates will possess strong academic credentials and communication skills.
Location: Hybrid remote work. Open to offices in Irvine, San Diego, San Francisco
EOE, including Disability/Vets. Knobbe Martens will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Please include resume, cover letter, transcripts and a writing sample with your submission.
Employer Type: Law Firm
Job Location: Hybrid remote work; open to multiple office locations.