Knobbe Martens provides an opportunity for engineers and scientists to further their professional growth and career development in exciting, challenging ways. Put your technical degree to work on issues involving science, technology, and the law. Candidates will assist with the successful procurement of patent protection for innovative technologies, evaluate with the designs of new products, and assist with the evaluation of competitor products.
Each client brings novel and diverse technologies to our firm. Therefore, the candidate will learn about a variety of new technologies, learn to identify inventive features, learn to describe the inventions, and work with the Patent Office to allow a patent for the technology. The position also requires a candidate to possess the ability to explain and describe new technologies in a way that is concise and descriptive.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Reviewing new client technologies to determine potentially patentable features.
- Creating technical diagrams and drawings that describe the invention.
- Writing patent applications with clarity and technical accuracy.
- Reviewing issued patents.
To be successful in this position the candidate must be a strong communicator, both written and oral. The candidate must be able to work independently, with a large amount of working freedom. In addition, each candidate will eventually participate in a patent law course and become registered with the United States Patent Office.
Education and Experience:
- B.S. degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or other similar technical field is required.
- At least two years of patent prosecution experience.
- Must be independently motivated to succeed and measure success on a team level.
- Qualified candidates will possess strong academic credentials and communication skills.
Location: Hybrid remote work option. Open to offices in Irvine, San Diego, San Francisco.
EOE, including Disability/Vets. Knobbe Martens will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Please include a resume, cover letter, transcriptions and a writing sample with your submission.
Employer Type: Law Firm
Job Location: Hybrid remote work; open to multiple office locations.