Inari is seeking an outstanding patent attorney to strengthen our internal IP practice. You will work closely with Inari’s science and business teams to ensure freedom-to-operate for its procedures, technologies, and products and develop, grow, manage, and protect the company’s intellectual property portfolio for its innovative agricultural and science-based technologies and products. This is a highly interactive role that requires excellent communication skills and the ability to provide pragmatic and business-savvy advice, identify innovations, and succinctly identify and communicate decisions to both scientific and executive teams. The position reports to the Assistant General Counsel, Intellectual Property.
The ideal candidate demonstrates the ability to execute and manage a global patent strategy for innovative clients while being equally hands-on and able to execute at a technical/tactical level. Experience in the field of genome editing and/or plant related inventions are an advantage. This role can be located in either Ghent, Belgium, or Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA and reports to the Assistant General Counsel, Intellectual Property.
As Patent Attorney, you will…
- Develop, manage and execute a comprehensive and effective global patent and plant variety protection strategies for Inari’s portfolio of plant products including in-house drafting of patent claims and efficient management of outside counsel
- Ensure freedom to operate and minimize exposure to third party IP, including establishing IP landscape and “white space” analysis in cooperation with the science team; providing and drafting opinions
- Collaborate with technology and product development teams to build strong patent portfolios around key assets to ensure a long-term competitive advantage
- Lead IP due diligence, review, and participate in agreement drafting and negotiations
- Provide IP counsel and education to Inari scientists and management while supporting Inari’s corporate and business development efforts with regard to IP due diligence, competitive intelligence, and licensing
- 5+ years of experience in life science related patent protection including patent preparation and prosecution, IP landscape and FTO analysis, opinion work
Qualified as a US or European patent attorney. Experience in international IP management, especially in EU and Brazil.
- Advanced degree (MA or Ph.D) in plant or life sciences, such as molecular biology or biochemistry
- Knowledge of patent law and procedure, including international patent prosecution
- Creative and strategic thinking; willingness to be bold and take risks; the ability to recognize and learn from failure; flexible, agile, personable, team-oriented approach; an ability to think “out-of-the-box”; and operate in a fast-paced, early stage, small company environment
- A collaborative mindset that is open to giving and receiving ideas, perspectives, and feedback working with a diverse range of individuals and audiences.
- Proven ability to set and meet ambitious deadlines, handle numerous multifaceted legal issues and see projects through to conclusion
- Ability to distill complexity and to communicate decisively with sound judgment
- A strong sense of purpose and drive to develop unique, high impact solutions
- Adaptability and enthusiasm for new challenges, innate curiosity, and a passion for learning
Apply online at:
Employer Type: Law Firm
Job Location: Cambridge MA, West Lafayette IN, Ghent BE