Zymeworks, a large corporation, is currently seeking a highly motivated professional to join our Intellectual Property (IP) team as a Manager or Senior Manager of IP. This is an excellent opportunity for those looking to take their career to the next level, reporting directly to our Senior Director, Intellectual Property who is located at our headquarters in Vancouver, BC. This position can either be based in our offices in Vancouver (BC) or Remote (CA).
- Takes an active role in managing the company’s global patent portfolio.
- Drafts and prosecutes PCT, US and foreign patent applications, working with outside counsel as appropriate.
- Meets with scientists and R&D project teams on a frequent basis to identify and protect patentable inventions and trade secrets.
- Provides guidance and oversight to inventors for drafting invention disclosures and developing experimental protocols to support patents.
- Advises assigned R&D project teams, business development teams and management on a wide range of IP matters, including analysis of patent landscape and third-party patent portfolios.
- Manages existing patent portfolio requirements and monitors deadlines for assigned cases.
- Performs patentability and freedom to operate searches.
- Monitors and analyzes competitive intellectual property and communicates findings to R&D project teams and management.
- Participates in training, education and development of IP group members and stakeholders.
- Develops, implements and ensures compliance with policies and procedures relating to IP protection requirements and ensures IP processes are consistent with best practices.
- Actively works to foster an environment of effective and collaborative working relationships amongst employees, management and external partners.
Qualifications and Education:
- Requires an advanced degree/knowledge in Molecular Biology, Structural Biology, Immunology, Biochemistry, Organic Chemistry, Medicinal Chemistry or related discipline, working knowledge of protein-based therapeutics and a minimum of 3 years in a law firm and/or in-house IP department with a focus on drafting and prosecuting PCT, US and foreign patent applications, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. PhD and post-doctoral experience preferred.
- Patent Agent licensed/admitted to practice before the USPTO and/or CIPO.
- Working knowledge of US and international laws, regulations, and procedures relating to pharmaceutical and/or biotechnology IP.
- Experience drafting and prosecuting patent applications on protein-based therapeutics.
- Experience running prior-art and freedom to operate searches.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills, the ability to explain complex IP issues to stakeholders from various professions and the ability to present findings with confidence to senior management.
- Proven interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively as a member of cross-functional team.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to work effectively in a high paced, fast changing environment.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Demonstrated high level of integrity and ethics.
Apply online at:
Include a resume with your submission.
Employer Type: Large Corporation
Job Location: Vancouver, BC (Canada)