Gen-Probe (NASDAQ:GPRO), a global leader in nucleic acid diagnostics that offers exciting opportunities in the scientific advancement of human healthcare, is currently seeking an experienced Patent Attorney to prepare and prosecute foreign and domestic patent applications and to assist with preparing, negotiating and monitoring licenses and other commercial agreements involving intellectual property. This person will also work with outside counsel on various related matters.
• Prepare and prosecute patent applications, both foreign and domestic; to a lesser extent, manage and direct the prosecution of patent applications being handled by outside counsel.
• Conduct freedom-to-operate analysis for current and future products.
• Solicit and review research disclosure statements from research staff. Review technical manuscripts, marketing literature, posters and other materials intended for public dissemination.
• Assist in the negotiation and documentation of commercial agreements involving intellectual property, such as licenses and joint venture agreements.
• Work with outside counsel on matters such as due diligence, opinion letters, patent interferences, agreements and patent-related litigation.
• Employee counseling on confidentiality and intellectual property issues, including preparing and presenting company-wide lectures on issues relating to trade secrets and intellectual property.
• Provide litigation support to the General Counsel or outside counsel as needed.
• Advanced knowledge and experience preparing and prosecuting patent applications.
• Prior experience in supporting the negotiation and documentation of licenses and other intellectual property agreements.
• Experience with patent-related litigation.
Education & Experience:
• 5+ years hands-on experience as a working patent attorney in the life sciences industry, preferably related to molecular diagnostics
• Admission to practice before the US Patent & Trademark Office as a registered patent attorney strongly preferred.
• B.S. in relevant technical area (e.g., molecular biology, biochemistry, or chemistry), and advanced degree in relevant technical area preferred
• Applicants must be qualified to practice law in the State of California or eligible to qualify.
You can learn more about us and may apply online by visiting: http://www.gen-probe.jobs. Relocation NOT offered at this time.
Gen-Probe offers a dynamic and innovative work environment along with excellent benefits that include 100% sponsored medical/dental/vision benefits for you, stock options & bonus potential, 401(k) w/company match, paid vacation/sick/holidays, support for continuing education, on-site fitness center, and our own waterfall café. We invite you to view our Career Video at: http://www.view-career-video
Employer Type: Large Corporation
Job Location: San Diego, California
“The Power to Look Deeper”
Recognized as one of San Diego’s leading biotech companies, Gen-Probe offers a state-of-the-art facility in a prime location with world-class benefits. We’re currently looking for team members who have “The Power to Look Deeper” in developing the best products, technologies and service.