Smiths Medical is a leading supplier of high-quality medical devices and products for global markets. We design and manufacture medical devices in three key areas: Safety Devices, Vital Care and Medication Delivery.
Our global customers include hospitals and alternate care, such as home care and other healthcare providers. We employ approximately 7,500 people on six continents and are part of the global technology business Smiths Group, a world leader in the practical application of advanced technologies. We offer a competitive total rewards package and have exciting career opportunities available for forward-thinking, motivated individuals who strive to succeed. Join us as we continue making medical product history! For further information, visit www.smiths-medical.com.
The Patent Liaison will provide leadership in the management and protection of intellectual property. The IP Liaison will work within R&D and with Legal personnel.
Specifically, the Patent Liaison will:
• Review results of patent and application alerts in view of existing and future products.
• Organize, run, and follow-up on the action items from patent review committees, which are attended by Legal, R&D, and Marketing.
• Help identify opportunities for IP protection.
• Work with R&D personnel in the planning, preparation and management of invention disclosure.
• Gather information to assist outside counsel in preparing and prosecuting patent applications throughout the world.
• Maintain a spreadsheet of the IP portfolio and active invention disclosures for the liaison's area of responsibility.
• Provide reports regarding patent and portfolio status, claims, and family trees.
• Provide patent searches. • Manage IP spending to a budget.
• Maintain awareness of IP issues within all departments of the franchises falling within scope of responsibility.
• Review and recommend country patent filing strategy, maintain annuities list.
• Ensure we have and comply with an intellectual property strategy.
• Lead and facilitate an idea review board.
• Ensure we comply with IP Management good practices.
• This position is required to assure compliance of Company operations to all applicable laws, regulations and standards, good business practices and company documented procedures (including but not limited to FDA, Quality Systems Regulations, ISO 13485, ISO 14001, government occupational health and environmental regulations and statutes).
• Bachelor of Science degree, preferably in Engineering, Physics or Computer Science.
• Minimum of 7 years industry experience working in Engineering or R&D.
• Computer skills, office and data base searching.
• Registration with USPTO as a Patent Agent desirable.
• Applicants should have demonstrated leadership skills and be highly organized, self-motivated, and attentive to details.
• Previous IP experience is highly desirable.
• Candidates must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, a proven record of results and ability to work effectively across multiple business functions.
• Ability to interface with most Smiths Medical departments, senior management, internal and outside
counsel, vendors, medical community leaders, customers, and the general public.
For additional detailed information regarding this opportunity and to apply online, please visit: http://smithsmedicalcareers.123jobfocus.com/jobmanager/index.php?p=detail&job_id=2713&keyword=&job_catid=&loc_id=&experience_id=®ister=
Employer Type: Other
Job Location: Southington, Connecticut
Smiths Medical is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, religion, age, physical or mental disability, veteran status or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state or local law in the terms or conditions of employment, programs or activities. Individuals with questions regarding this policy are encouraged to contact Human Resources.