Amazon's legal department is looking for a talented patent attorney to lead a team that supports Amazon Web Services (AWS), a dynamic and rapidly growing business within Amazon.com that is blazing new trails as a pioneer in the fast-growing cloud computing industry. Amazon Web Services is at the forefront of the "cloud" computing and service industry providing IT infrastructure services such as on-demand compute capacity, storage, database, content delivery, message queuing, mobile application developer tools, software-as-service products, and more.
If you have a passion for innovative technology, this is the place for you. You will have significant influence on the development and execution of our patent strategy and will solve cutting edge intellectual property issues. Responsibilities include client counseling, third party IP investigations and actively working with outside counsel to manage filing, prosecuting and maintaining our growing US and foreign patent portfolio. The ideal candidate will become embedded with the builders of our newest technologies, while helping shape the products and services as they come to market.
The successful candidate must be inquisitive, enthusiastic about technology, enjoy working hard and being continually challenged, and demonstrate sound judgment even in ambiguous situations. Compensation based on experience and includes equity compensation.
•7+years of legal experience (with at least three years at a law firm) as patent attorney
•Juris Doctor and membership in good standing in at least one state bar is required
• Registered to practice before the US Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO)
• Understanding of a wide variety of technology areas including: web services, digital media, virtualization, data storage, database, operating systems, mobile applications, content delivery, and e-commerce
• Ability to identify effective methods of protecting intellectual property created from software, hardware and internet related products and services
• Effective oral and written communication skills in communicating business and intellectual property issues with and between developers, engineers and business leaders
• Ability to be responsible for intellectual property related activities for several business and technology teams, including training the business on patent filing and strategy, idea harvesting, management of patent application preparation and prosecution, addressing third party patent issues, and assisting in patent acquisitions and licensing
• Ability to assist in-house and outside litigation counsel in patent litigation issues
• Ability to counsel other Amazon lawyers with intellectual property issues that affect the business
• Have personally prepared and prosecuted at least 40 patent applications for AWS related technology
• Ability to demonstrate sound judgment even in ambiguous situations
• Ability to work independently while being able to contribute successfully to cross-functional teams
• Able to provide advice and counsel to businesses on open source software related patent issues
• Excellent organizational skills, ability to manage multiple projects at once, and follow through and meet deadlines
• Strong analytical and computer skills
• Common sense, great judgment, and a good sense of humor
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Apply online by visiting this link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/jobs/243350/ref=j_sr_42_t?ie=UTF8&category=Legal&jobSearchKeywords=&location=*&page=4.
Employer Type: Large Corporation
Job Location: Seattle, Washington