Chevron is accepting online applications for the position of Patent Agent. Chevron is interested in filling Patent Agent positions in Richmond, CA.
Leads Chevron Business Units in developing an Intellectual Property (IP) portfolio, and in particular a patent portfolio, that provides competitive advantage for Chevron while maintaining Intellectual Property risk mitigation practices to substantially reduce the risk to Chevron's businesses. Collaborates with department-level Intellectual Property managers and coordinators in partnership with Chevron IP attorneys to design, adapt and deploy processes that will ensure appropriate management of Chevron's intellectual property.
Responsibilities for this position may include but are not limited to:
- Maintains knowledge of Chevron's patent portfolio and of competitors' patenting activities in connection with one or more selected technologies such as:
- Fuel and lubricant additives
- Catalyst and zeolite materials
- Refining and hydroprocessing
- Supports (in some instances may include organizing and leading) regular invention disclosure review meetings with the relevant business.
- Exercises and maintains authoritative technical knowledge of Chevron technologies for assigned technology area(s).
- Develops and implements Intellectual Property Strategies for managing Chevron innovations, intellectual property portfolios, and trade secrets for assigned technology area(s).
- Maintains an understanding of third party patents relevant to Chevron's businesses and assists IP attorneys with freedom-to-operate studies.
- Leads and organizes efforts to identify inventions and develop invention disclosures. Assists inventors with the writing and submittal of invention disclosures, instructs inventors in legal requirements for a patentable invention and advises on research data needed to support patentability of Chevron inventions.
- Critically reviews and evaluates Chevron invention disclosures. Performs technical analysis of Chevron's inventions and conducts, directs and evaluates patentability searches.
- Exercises knowledge of U.S. and foreign patent laws and procedures.
- Independently prepares Chevron patent applications and prosecutes U.S. and foreign patent applications to maximize protection and value for Chevron inventions.
- Provides technical reviews and support for freedom-to-operate assessments, IP enforcement matters, and external publications.
- Initiates and maintains effective communications with researchers, business leaders and legal colleagues.
- Leads, organizes and/or supports patent committee meetings to facilitate portfolio management.
- Assists with the collection of patent filing statistics and other department metrics to assess performance of IP Legal support.
- Works well with teams in a fast-paced environment.
- Bachelor's degree in chemistry, chemical engineering, or comparable scientific discipline.
- Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office in 2011 or earlier.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in patent drafting and prosecution activities, preferably in a law firm environment.
- Advanced degree in chemistry, chemical engineering, or comparable scientific discipline.
- Substantial experience in drafting and prosecuting applications directed to inventions in the chemical or chemical engineering arts.
To apply, please visit this link: https://www.chevron.apply2jobs.com/ProfExt/index.cfm?fuseaction=mExternal.showJob&RID=41973&CurrentPage=1.
Employer Type: Large Corporation
Job Location: Richmond, California