RPX Corporation is the leading provider of patent risk management solutions. Since our founding in 2008, RPX has introduced efficiency to the patent market by providing a rational alternative to litigation. We acquire patent rights in the open market and out of litigation that would otherwise become a costly problem for our clients. The company’s groundbreaking approach combines principal capital, deep patent expertise, and client contributions to generate enhanced patent buying power. We also execute large-scale structured transactions on behalf of our clients, provide litigation insurance, and deliver in-depth market intelligence and strategic advisory services to our growing client network. Additionally, our wholly-owned subsidiary Inventus Solutions provides top tier e-discovery management services to Fortune 1000 corporations, global law firms, and government agencies.
The Patent Analysis department synthesizes complex technologies and legal patent issues into actionable intelligence for RPX executives and clients. Patent Analysis research and analysis support initiatives in defensive portfolio buying, prior art validity actions, and advisory services. The positions in Patent Analysis require a deep and broad knowledge of specific technology sectors.
As a Senior Patent Engineer you will analyze patent claims and related materials in view of legal, technological, and business environments to understand the technical merit and patent quality of individual patent portfolios. Your main responsibility is to distill a body of analysis and research into a concise, clear, and actionable assessment to both technical and nontechnical audiences. You will report directly to the Senior Manager, Patent Analysis.
Typically you will:
- Assess numerous engineering and legal factors to extract patent value proposition
- Draw on detailed knowledge of relevant technologies, companies, and industries
- Explain complex technical issues to nontechnical audiences
- Isolate critical technical components of patents, products, and services
- Learn and apply legal concepts related to patents including prosecution and litigation
- Research timeliness of patents in support of validity challenges and prior art reports
- Support analysis conclusions with research driven logic and confidence
- Collaborate across the organization in-person and with virtual, global teams
- Establish and cultivate relationships internally and externally
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science or Electrical Engineering
- Experience with client engagements in explaining highly technical subject matter
- Experience with reverse engineering and reviewing evidence of use
- Experience with IP searching (prior art, landscaping, freedom-to-operate, etc.) viewed favorably
- Prior technical or engineering role developing software and writing code viewed favorably
- Patent Attorney, Patent Agent, or Attorney viewed favorably
- Management and supervisory experience viewed favorably
- Involvement in patent issues including prosecution, litigation, and valuation viewed favorably
- Subject matter expertise in software architecture, high-scale computing, computer security, cryptography, databases, and/or applied mathematics
- Familiarity with products, services, and standards in web, mobile, enterprise, media, and financial services spaces
- Proficiency in technical research, including searching for technical references in patent and non-patent databases
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite
Competencies to be Successful
At RPX and in this role, you should be:
- Comfortable with independently managing deadlines and conflicting priorities to deliver quality results
- Able to demonstrate a consistent record of excellence, ownership, and accountability
- Service-minded and passionate about results with an ability to develop positive relationships
- Adaptable to the many changing requirements and needs of a dynamic company
- A person with dedication and worth ethic that thrives in a collaborative culture with excellent social, networking, and influencing skills
- Motivated and self-directed with a willingness to take on additional projects
- Able to demonstrate good judgement
- Highly focused, organized, and pay attention to details
- A person that embodies the RPX values through communication and actions
RPX is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply, please visit this website: http://www.rpxcorp.com/about-rpx/rpx-careers/?p=job%2FonT14fw5.
Employer Type: Small Corporation
Job Location: San Francisco, California