Nike seeks an experienced intellectual property lawyer to serve as an Assistant General Counsel, IP Transactions and Licensing. In that role, the successful candidate will provide IP counseling for key segments of Nike’s world-class innovation, product development, and manufacturing innovation, including developing and implementing current and forward-looking innovation/IP activities. As a member of Nike’s legal and IP teams, you will collaborate closely with Nike’s business and innovation teams, as well as legal colleagues, to provide deal negotiation, drafting, and execution and strategic advice related to the company’s IP development, strategic partnerships, business relationships, and licensing activities.
In this role, the successful candidate will help to drive innovation efforts through IP-centric partnerships and transactions. You will develop and implement best practices and processes for aligning IP strategies with Nike business goals. As a member of the Nike global IP and legal departments, you will work closely with other members of those teams to provide expertise where needed.
- Develop and implement global strategy for Nike’s IP transactions and licensing activities.
- Work closely with senior management, technical/business stakeholders, and legal colleagues to advise and negotiate IP-intensive transactions, including strategic partnerships, joint development efforts, open innovation activities, patent licenses, and IP acquisitions.
- Draft and negotiate IP-centric agreements including joint development and collaboration, IP acquisition, university research, and inbound and outbound license agreements.
- Lead Nike’s open source program.
- Provide IP advice (including ownership, licensing, and indemnification guidance) for commercial and corporate agreements, including consulting, exclusivity, supply and manufacturing agreements.
- Provide IP advice on a variety of company and business issues, including M&A activities, strategic innovation programs, university relations, inventor programs, confidentiality programs, and employment-related issues.
- Collaborate and work with other senior business, IP, and legal leaders on a wide range of IP-related issues, including IP analysis, due diligence, disputes, and strategy.
- Provide education and training to Nike’s business, innovation and legal partners regarding IP, open source, and transactional/licensing issues.
- Juris Doctor degree and active member in good standing of at least one state bar; admission to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and a technical degree are strongly preferred.
- 5 to 10 years of solid experience in: negotiating and drafting IP and technology transactional agreements, license agreements, and IP provisions of commercial agreements; general IP substantive areas (including patent prosecution and litigation, trade secrets); open source review and counseling; and IP counseling. Some in-house legal experience is preferred.
- Broad range of legal experience and substantive knowledge related to open source, patent licensing, enforcement and litigation.
- Strong communication skills -- verbal and written -- with the ability to express thoughts clearly, concisely, and persuasively to a range of audiences, including legal experts, innovators, technologists, and senior business executives.
- Capable of adding value to Nike through unique technical and legal expertise.
- Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills; a team player who can establish and build partnerships within all levels of the innovation and legal teams.
- The ability to multi-task, manage multiple priorities, problem solve and deliver timely and effective results in a fast-paced, team environment.
- The ability to counsel clients in developing business and licensing strategies by finding creative solutions to complex business and legal issues relating to IP.
Apply online by visiting this link: https://jobs.nike.com/job/portland/assistant-general-counsel-ip-transactions-and-licensing/824/6891767.
Employer Type: Large Corporation
Job Location: Portland, Oregon