Boehringer Ingelheim is seeking an IP Associate Director & Corporate Counsel. Provides legal services to Clients, typically at the Director level and below. Level of counseling may include drafting of legal documents and provision of legal counsel regarding the risks associated with a given business objective. Should have experience in practicing law in intellectual property and patents with the objective of gaining more in depth knowledge of an additional legal area as well as insight into practicing law within a corporate setting. Typically partners with more senior legal counsel in meeting and providing advice where there is a greater legal risk and ambiguity. The successful candidate will have experience preparing and prosecuting patents in the area of large molecule biopharmaceuticals.
As an employee of Boehringer Ingelheim, you will actively contribute to the discovery, development and delivery of our products to our patients and customers. Our global presence provides opportunity for all employees to collaborate internationally, offering visibility and opportunity to directly contribute to the companies' success. We realize that our strength and competitive advantage lie with our people. We support our employees in a number of ways to foster a healthy working environment, meaningful work, diversity and inclusion, mobility, networking and work-life balance. Our competitive compensation and benefit programs reflect Boehringer Ingelheim's high regard for our employees.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Identify patentable inventions through regular interactions with internal R&D project teams, colleagues in legal and collaborators, including evaluating inventions and generating and executing on corresponding patent protection strategies.
• Prepare, for review by more senior lawyer when appropriate, patent applications and prosecution with USPTO, freedom-to-operate analyses, and opinions, as well as review IP provisions in contracts, including research, collaboration and licensing agreements.
• Understanding of federal and state laws, regulations and policies relating to US patent law; ability to interpret and apply such laws, regulations and policies to inform business activities.
• Review proposed publications and presentations for potential impact on patent portfolio.
• Influence clients by identifying and communicating to clients risks associated with day-to-day operational business activities, including training clients on applicable legal issues relating to US patent law.
• Partner with clients to proactively apply legal and regulatory framework to business activity by identifying business goals and developing alternative solutions to assist in the achievement of successful outcomes.
• Negotiate on behalf of (and sometimes partnering with) client to achieve solutions consistent with business objectives.
• Confer with other in-house and outside counsel where appropriate.
• Manage (either directly or indirectly) administrative assistants and other personnel within department.
• Keep current with of evolving legal, regulatory and business issues within lawyer’s expertise and client’s business environment.
• Juris Doctorate degree from an accredited law school; at least 2 years relevant legal experience; admission to at least one State bar.
• Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office.
• B.S/M.S/Ph.D. or significant work experience in biology, immunology, biochemistry, or other life science related field.
• A demonstrated competency in the field of biotechnology patent law, including patent preparation and prosecution for large molecule biopharmaceuticals, in particular antibodies.
• Working knowledge of pharmaceutical chemistry is preferred.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Excellent organizational skills; demonstrates discretion and ability to maintain confidentiality of information.
To apply, please visit this link: https://tas-boehringer.taleo.net/careersection/global+template+career+section+28external29/jobdetail.ftl?job=196700&tz=GMT-04%3A00&tzname=America%2FNew_York.
Employer Type: Large Corporation
Job Location: Rigefield, Connecticut