At Wells Fargo, we are looking for talented people who will put our customers at the center of everything we do. We are seeking candidates who embrace diversity, equity and inclusion in a workplace where everyone feels valued and inspired.
Help us build a better Wells Fargo. It all begins with outstanding talent. It all begins with you.
Legal - Our vision is to advance the company's strategy, support its transformation, and effectively manage risk through a team known for collaboration, sound judgment, and proactive advice.
We support our vision with four strategic pillars: Integrated Business Advice, Risk Management, Talent & Leadership Development, and Operational Excellence.
The Intellectual Property Group has an opportunity for an experienced patent attorney. The patent attorney will counsel clients and coordinate business unit patent activities, including managing intellectual property review team meetings, providing patentability and non-infringement opinions, and developing line of business patent strategies that align with enterprise strategies.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Managing all patent matters for one or more lines of business
- Engaging business partners to identify and examine potential intellectual property opportunities and encouraging the creation and protection of intellectual property;
- Developing, coordinating and reviewing patent research and analysis projects, including prior art searches, patentability analyses, portfolio analyses, infringement/non-infringement analyses, validity/invalidity analyses and freedom to operate analyses;
- Managing the drafting, filing, prosecuting and maintaining of a line of business patent portfolio;
- Setting and implementing patent policies;
- Educating company employees on IP and the patent process; and
- Directing and managing work with outside counsel related to intellectual property matters.
All offers for employment with Wells Fargo are contingent upon the candidate having successfully completed a criminal background check. Wells Fargo will consider qualified candidates with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable local, state and Federal law, including Section 19 of the Federal Deposit Insurance Act.
- Active State Bar membership
- 8+ years of experience as a practicing attorney; or 6+ years of experience as a practicing attorney and 2+ years of legal-related experience in one or a combination of the following areas: risk, compliance, contracts, government, regulatory, financial services, or technology
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy skills
- Ability to effectively organize and prioritize work while handling multiple matters
- Ability to work effectively in a complex environment with a high degree of collaboration
- Effective in building partnerships, functioning well with project teams, and working for the success of the team
- Ability to analyze legal and regulatory issues in area of practice and provide effective advice to clients on complex legal matters
- Extensive experience conducting research and providing counsel and guidance regarding complex legal issues
Other Desired Qualifications:
- 8+ years of experience filing and prosecuting patents as a patent attorney
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical field, preferably in electrical engineering or a computer-related discipline
- Registered to practice before the US Patent & Trademark Office (USPTO)
- Ability to be responsible for intellectual property related activities for a line of business, including training the business on patent filing and strategy, idea harvesting, management of patent application preparation and prosecution, addressing third party patent issues, and assisting in patent acquisitions and licensing
- Ability to counsel other lawyers on intellectual property issues that affect Wells Fargo
- Have personally prepared and prosecuted at least 50 patent applications
- Experience with patenting within the financial services industry
- Ability to work well both independently and in teams
Relevant military experience is considered for veterans and transitioning service men and women.
Wells Fargo is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer, Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation.
Employer Type: Large Corporation
Job Location: Multiple Locations