Pacific Biosciences (PacBio) is seeking patent counsel. Headquartered in Menlo Park, Calif., PacBio is a startup biotechnology company developing a transformative single-molecule, real-time (SMRT™) DNA sequencing platform. PacBio’s goal is to commercialize SMRT DNA sequencing technology, eventually enabling sequencing of individual genomes as part of routine medical care. The company is currently venture funded by Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, Mohr Davidow Ventures, Alloy Ventures, Maverick Capital, and others.
PacBio seeks the best and the brightest to join our world-class team. You must be creative, forward thinking, approach challenges with an innovative attitude, and enjoy being part of a highly interdisciplinary team. If this is you, we would like to hear from you.
• Assist in the preparation, prosecution and management of company intellectual property portfolio.
• Assist in management of intellectual property aspects of commercialization of company products and services, including coordination of licensing programs, evaluating intellectual property considerations of products (freedom to operate, in-licensing, product marking, trademark, etc.).
• Provide internal opinions on patent matters.
• Manage outside patent counsel.
• From 3 to 5 years experience preparing and prosecuting patents before the USPTO and other patent offices in law firm and/or corporate legal environment.
• Registration to practice before USPTO.
• J.D. and good academic credentials from respected law school.
• Must have substantial technical background (advanced degree and/or substantial hands-on experience) in relevant field (biochemistry, molecular biology, analytical instrumentation, mechanical engineering, bioinformatics).
• Must be capable of quickly understanding and effectively communicating broad ranging technologies.
• Must be a member of California Bar Association in good standing.
• Must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Experience in IP transactions (licensing, acquisition, etc.).
Employer Type: Small Corporation
Job Location: Menlo Park, California