DESCRIPTION OF POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Prepare and prosecute patent applications concerning molecular diagnostic assays and instruments, both foreign and domestic; and to a lesser extent, manage the prosecution of patent applications being handled by outside counsel.
• Conduct freedom-to-operate analyses related to product developments.
• Review research disclosure statements from research staff. Review technical manuscripts, posters and other materials intended for public dissemination.
• Assist in the preparation and negotiation of agreements involving intellectual property, such as licenses.
• Work with outside counsel on matters such as due diligence, opinion letters, patent interferences, and agreements.
• Prepare and present company-wide lectures on issues relating to intellectual property.
• Provide litigation support to the General Counsel and/or outside counsel as needed in patent-related litigation.
RELATED BUSINESS/TECHNICAL SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES:
• Advanced knowledge and experience preparing and prosecuting patent applications.
• Prior experience in supporting the negotiation and documentation of licenses and other intellectual property agreements.
• Experience with patent-related litigation
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
• 5+ years hands-on experience as a working patent attorney in the life sciences industry, preferably related to molecular diagnostics and/or diagnostic instrument systems.
• Admission to practice before the US Patent & Trademark Office as a registered patent attorney required.
• Applicants must be qualified to practice law in the State of California or eligible to qualify.
Gen-Probe offers a dynamic and innovative work environment along with excellent benefits that include company sponsored medical/dental/vision benefits, stock options (NASDAQ:GPRO), bonus potential, 401(k) with company match, paid vacation/sick time /holidays, assistance with continuing education, on-site fitness center and our own Waterfall Café.
We invite you to view our
Employer Type: Large Corporation
Job Location: San Diego, California