Pfizer Inc. is seeking a Patent Counsel to handle a variety of intellectual property issues relating to the research and development in small molecule therapeutics in Cambridge, MA.
• Lead and develop patent strategies that build the strongest patent portfolio.
• Ensure global consistency in the drafting of patent applications, particularly regarding prior art statements, disclosure of indications or combinations, or scope of claims.
• Manage the Disease Area patent portfolio(s): review portfolios and recommend retention, abandonments or cutbacks in area of responsibility. Provide rationale for the same.
• Represent the Patent department on Research Unit teams in areas of responsibility.
• Ensure cross-Research Unit issues are addressed, e.g., receptor targets or chemical matter that are common across Research Units.
• Maintain dialogue with R&D and patent colleagues in the Research Unit and ensure global consistency in legal advice.
• Partner with appropriate Business Unit Patent support to ensure that strategies align with business objectives.
• Conduct due-diligence when requested.
• Maintain awareness of licensing activities and advise on these matters as needed.
• Provide general guidance as needed to support LOE determinations and lifecycle planning in areas of responsibility.
• Maintain awareness of patent litigation issues in areas of responsibility.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry, an advanced degree is preferred;
• J.D. from an ABA-accredited law school, be a member in good standing of a state bar, and be registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office;
• Minimum of 2 years legal experience gained in a law firm or corporate setting;
• Experience with preparation and prosecution of patents (U.S. and foreign); preparation of infringement, validity, freedom-to-operate opinions and client counseling;
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds and at different levels in the company (i.e., staff scientists, group directors, Vice Presidents, etc.); and,
• Team-oriented self-starter with strong communication, analytical, and organizational skills, be able to work under deadline pressures, and maintain close attention to detail
Throughout our 153 years, a legacy of caring for others has been at the heart of everything we do at Pfizer. This commitment is no less important when it comes to our employees. Pfizer wants to ensure that employees have resources to help them develop and succeed both in their careers and personal lives. One way we can achieve this is through our comprehensive benefits program, which offers employees and their eligible dependents the variety and flexibility to help address their needs at different stages in life.
Pfizer Inc. discovers, develops, manufactures, and markets leading prescription medicines for humans and animals. Our innovative, value-added products improve the quality of life of people around the world and help them enjoy longer, healthier, and more productive lives. The company has two business segments: health care and animal health. Our products are available in more than 150 countries.
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must possess or obtain authorization to work in the U.S. for Pfizer. Pfizer retains sole and exclusive discretion to pursue sponsorship for the acquisition or maintenance of nonimmigrant status and employment eligibility, considering factors such as availability of qualified U.S. workers. Individuals requiring sponsorship must disclose this fact.
Please copy and paste the following URL into your browser address bar: http://posttrak.arbita.net/cgi-bin/PostTrak.cgi?RefCode=R8683283408656
Employer Type: Large Corporation
Job Location: Cambridge, Massachusetts