DTS, a digital technology company dedicated to delivering the ultimate entertainment experience, is seeking a patent searcher to work in its Los Gatos, California, offices. The person will be an employee of the Legal department providing IP, technical and legal searching services to the Company worldwide. The person shall act as a liaison between legal and Engineering, to elicit intellectual property disclosures, extract details and generate documentation of intellectual property, including Patent, trade secret and copyrighted assets. The person shall help in early stage intellectual property due diligence analyzing third party intellectual property assets associated with potential license or acquisition, provide proactive IP analysis to the various technical teams related to future R&D efforts, assist in IP infringement/enforcement analysis and litigation support, and monitor technology and IP activities of the Company’s competition.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
• Search patent data bases and analyze relevant reference as to potential infringement and/or validity of patent or invention of interest
• Search technical or other data bases and non-patent materials and analyze relevant reference as to potential infringement and/or validity of patent or invention of interest.
• Work with Company technical staff to understand future R&D direction and analyze and provide guidance related to IP issues/roadblocks.
• Work with Engineers to develop invention disclosures, document inventions and prepare patent applications.
• Monitor Company’s competition related to technology developments and issued IP and provide prompt summaries of such events.
• Evaluates the validity, scope and value of a target company’s IP assets for possible acquisition or license.
• Supports IP counsel related to pre-patent filing review, invention viability assessment, patent validity and infringement analysis, preparation of patent applications and prosecution of same.
• Provides other general technical and legal searching services.
• Prepare written analysis or the various analysis and searches.
• Evaluate intellectual property in relation to present and proposed standards and technology ecosystems.
• Strong ability to use technical and legal databases for IP and technical analysis.
• Strong technical competence in the electrical, computer engineering, computer science and software area, preferably in the digital signal processing area.
• Ability to work with engineers to develop invention disclosures and documentation
• A strong ability to communicate technical material in clear and precise written English is an absolute necessity.
• Strong technical reading and writing skills.
• Ability to quickly assess technical literature.
• Prior patent searching experience (3+ yrs).
• Ability to function well in cross-disciplinary team environment
Required Education and Experience:
• 3+ years searching and/or patent prosecution experience.
• Typically requires a minimum of 5 years of related experience.
• Strong technical skills in the electrical, computer engineering, computer science and software area, preferably in the digital signal processing area.
• Document preparation, reading and review.
• Excellent communication skills, customer oriented.
• Strong organizational & writing skills.
• Proficient in WESTLAW, DELPHION, DIALOG, USPTO databases/systems, Derwent & Impodoc, etc. Familiarity with MineSoft and PatBase software a strong plus.
• Detail and quality oriented.
• Motivated and self-starter, ability to work with little supervision.
• Current knowledge of general patent law and USPTO procedures a plus.
• Requires a bachelor degree or higher degree in electrical engineering, computer engineering, physics or computer science, preferably with experience in digital signal processing.
• 3+ years searching experience.
• Patent agent USPTO registration preferred.
• Chinese, Japanese reading skills a plus
• Must have strong mathematical skills sufficient to understand the company’s products and services and materials searched.
• Strong reasoning skills required
• Strong computer skills and ability to use legal and database resource tools such as WESTLAW, LEXIS, DELPHION, DIALOG, USPTO databases/systems, Derwent & Impodoc, etc. Familiarity with MineSoft and PatBase software a strong plus.
• Some competence with spreadsheet and word processing software.
• Ability to read matlab, C, C++ code at rudimentary level.
Apply online by visiting this link: http://www.resumeware.net/dts_rw/dts_web/job_detail.cfm?recnum=5&totalrecs=21&start=1&pagestart=1&reqnum=10527.
Employer Type: Small Corporation
Job Location: Los Gatos, California
DTS, Inc. (NASDAQ: DTSI) is a digital technology company dedicated to delivering the ultimate entertainment experience. DTS decoders are in virtually every major brand of multi-channel surround processor, and there are hundreds of millions of DTS-licensed consumer electronics products available worldwide. A pioneer in multi-channel audio, DTS technology is in home theatre, car audio, PC and game console products, as well as DVD-Video, Blu-ray Disc and Surround Music software. Founded in 1993, DTS' corporate headquarters are located in Calabasas, California with its licensing operations headquartered in Limerick, Ireland. DTS also has offices in Northern California, Washington, Canada, China, France, Hong Kong, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan and the United Kingdom. DTS is a registered trademark of DTS, Inc.