Intellectual Ventures and Invention Law Group, PC seeks a Chief Policy Counsel. This position reports to the General Counsel. Working closely with other attorneys, business leaders and outside counsel, the Chief Policy Counsel will manage public policy issues related to invention rights and intellectual property, as well as other areas that significantly impact IV’s business, including tax, energy, science and technology and investment-related issues, in the U.S. and internationally. An ideal candidate will have substantive expertise in several of these areas, a significant understanding of and experience with U.S. legislative, administrative and judicial processes and organizations and international experience.
• Manage IV’s involvement in the development of U.S. legislative and regulatory policy, including:
• Tracking proposed legislation that may affect patent law or other areas of importance to IV, and communicating those developments to IV personnel as appropriate.
• Studying contemplated or pending legislation, proposing changes to such legislation and working with external lobbyists and others in Washington, D.C. to communicate IV’s proposals, testimony and comments to Members and staff.
• Proposing new legislation as needed to protect innovation and invention rights, and other aspects of IV’s business.
• Monitor U.S. case law developments, including those relating to patent law and other areas of importance to IV’s business, and communicate those developments to IV personnel as appropriate.
• Propose and supervise the preparation and filing of amicus briefs in significant U.S. federal court cases.
• Manage IV’s participation in U.S. Patent Office developments, including:
• Monitoring proposed USPTO rulemaking.
• As appropriate, preparing and coordinating the filing of comments and proposals at the USPTO in response to proposed rulemaking.
• Monitor international legislative and legal developments related to patent issues and other areas that may affect IV’s business, and recommend appropriate activity to protect and further IV’s business interests.
• Carry out the above activities by:
• Coordinating with legal and business leaders to ensure alignment with and support of IV’s goals.
• Preparing appropriate documents internally and managing outside counsel to prepare documents as needed, and coordinating the filing of documents with appropriate governmental entities.
• Meeting with government officials, legislative staffers and legislators as appropriate to support these activities.
• Participate actively as IV’s representative in appropriate IP and other organizations, including developing and maintaining strong professional working relationships with organization leaders and members to inform IV’s policy positions.
• Establish and develop relationships with professionals in companies and governmental entities, both national and international, that will assist and inform IV’s policy interests.
• Manage outside counsel, consultants, lobbyists and department spending to budget.
• 15+ years of in-house, law firm, government and/or academic experience with particular expertise in legislative and regulatory policy.
• Substantive U.S. and international experience in law and policy in at least some of the following areas: invention rights and intellectual property; tax; energy; science and technology; investment-related issues; and information management, including access control, integration and analytics. Skill in devising strategic legal approaches, particularly with respect to invention and intellectual property rights, contract law, corporate law and patent licensing.
• Excellent legal, business and political judgment.
• Demonstrated success in managing programs, consultants and organizational activities.
• Demonstrated success in managing costs to budget and driving cost containment initiatives.
• Proven track record of accomplishment leading or influencing direct or cross-functional teams of legal and business experts to achieve goals.
• Experience partnering with senior-level management and addressing rapid changes in development and delivery requirements.
• Demonstrated integrity, maturity, good judgment and a constructive approach to challenges.
• Able to communicate information effectively, both orally and in writing.
• Able to develop and maintain good professional relationships with entities and professionals with whom IV may not share common policy positions or goals.
• Self-starter with strong problem-solving skills.
• Established credibility in relevant professional communities.
• Multi-dimensional thinker who responds and creates new approaches based upon pertinent legal developments.
• Able to effectively lead cross-functional teams.
Please apply directly to: http://www.intellectualventures.com. We are an equal opportunity employer.
Employer Type: Other
Job Location: Bellevue, Washington
Intellectual Ventures (“IV”) is a privately-held, invention investment company based in Bellevue, Washington. Intellectual Ventures is the leader in the business of invention. Driven by the belief that invention sparks progress, Intellectual Ventures is committed to creating and sustaining a market for invention. The company creates new inventions, invests in existing inventions and partners with universities and research labs worldwide to develop inventions. Intellectual Ventures provides companies access to these inventions through a variety of licensing and partnering programs.