Lee Sullivan Shea & Smith LLP is an intellectual property law firm with offices located in Chicago, Illinois and Austin, Texas.
We are actively seeking those candidates who are interested in a patent career as a Technical Advisor or Patent Agent. Candidates must have a solid technical background and the ability to quickly learn new technologies. The role involves working directly with clients ranging from Fortune 500 companies engaged in protecting new inventions, to startups working on cutting edge technologies. Applicants will be exposed to a variety of technologies in a collaborative environment and will be working directly with inventors to draft detailed patent applications covering the inventors' inventions and to prosecute those applications.
The position will involve the following responsibilities:
- Drafting US patent applications
- Prosecuting patent applications
- Assisting clients with management of patent portfolios and providing recommendations regarding prosecution strategies
- Routinely conducting examiner interviews with the USPTO to expedite prosecution
- Preparing responses to outstanding communications from the USPTO in a timely manner
- Conducting invention disclosure teleconferences with inventors
- Performing complex legal analysis including freedom-to-operate and patentability analysis
A Bachelor’s degree or higher degree in electrical engineering, computer engineering, or equivalent is required for this position. In particular, we are interested in individuals with familiarity and experience in one or more of the following technologies: computer hardware, computer software, networking, communications, audio, video, and analog circuitry.
Actual USPTO patent preparation and prosecution experience is a plus but we are willing to train the right candidate. Must have excellent English communications skills, including a strong writing ability, and superior analytical skills.
We offer competitive salaries, insurance benefits, and a 401(k) plan. Most importantly, we offer a challenging and exciting career opportunity in a small firm environment that includes continued exposure to a wide variety of leading-edge technologies.
Openings are available in both Austin, TX and Chicago, IL.
To apply, please email Neilesh Patel at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Employer Type: Law Firm
Job Location: Austin, Texas or Chicago, Illinois