Baker Botts L.L.P. is currently seeking a Scientific Advisor / Patent Agent. As part of the firm’s Intellectual Property team, this position is responsible for performing highly complex and sensitive client work requiring a high level of professional capability and skill. The primary responsibilities of this position include preparing draft patent applications and draft response to communications from the USPTO. This role assists attorneys in the delivery of quality legal services to clients in an efficient and cost effective manner. The person in this position should have at least a bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering or electrical engineering, be a self-starter and have a can-do attitude, possess excellent administrative skills, must have excellent academic credentials, experience writing patent applications. The person in this position must be qualified to sit for the patent bar, and preferably already be licensed to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Prepare draft patent applications in particular incorporating scientific aspects of inventions.
• Prepare draft responses to communications from U.S. and foreign patent offices with regard to factual and other scientific matters.
• Discuss the scientific aspects of inventions with clients and inventors and thereafter provide attorneys with a report on those discussions.
• Communicate with, and act as liaison between, inventors and Patent & Trademark Office in connection with all aspects of patent application process.
• Evaluate and report on the technological aspects of inventions and other scientific matters. Advise attorneys on general and specific technologies and investigate those technologies as needed.
• Draft, organize, analyze, review and summarize documents.
• Review and analyze client and other files.
• Conduct regulatory and factual research.
• Communicate face-to-face, by e-mail and by telephone with staff, clients, vendors, and PTO and agency personnel.
• Coordinate workflow with outside service providers.
• Organize and prioritize numerous tasks and complete them under time constraints in an efficient and cost effective manner.
• Identify and analyze complex patent issues and problems and implement solutions.
• Interact professionally with clients, lawyers, and employees at all levels and provide information with ordinary courtesy and tact while safeguarding confidentiality.
• Provide direction and guidance to legal support staff on specific issues, as appropriate.
• Stay abreast of technology trends and make recommendations regarding technology needs.
• Undertake continuing education, and remain abreast of current patent prosecution issues and trends, as required to maintain appropriate accreditation in the field.
• Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
• Ability to work well with internal and external clients.
• Strong aptitude of working with the USPTO.
• Strong organizational skills, problem solving skills and attention to detail.
• Customer service focused and
• Excellent strategic planning and organizational skills.
Knowledge and Skills
• Advanced working knowledge of database research principles, methods, techniques, and resources.
• Ability to analyze, interpret, and draw inferences from research findings, and prepare reports.
• Ability to provide operational guidance and leadership to technical staff in area of specialty.
• Strong investigative and problem resolution skills.
• Knowledge of principles, procedures, and standards for drafting a range of complex patent documentation in area of expertise.
• Ability to effectively communicate complex factual, technical information.
• Ability to develop and maintain recordkeeping systems and procedures.
• Ability to use independent judgment and to manage and impart confidential information.
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of individuals.
• Advanced oral and written communication skills.
• Knowledge of current and emerging developments and trends within area of expertise.
• Ability to organize and prioritize numerous tasks and complete them under time constraints.
• Ability to learn and capably use various software packages.
• Ability to operate standard office equipment.
• Knowledge of and use of time management and project management strategies.
• Ability to facilitate individual and group meetings.
• Ability to understand and comply with confidentiality issues and ethical responsibilities
• Ability to travel to private and public buildings via private or public conveyance to assist in attending to client needs on legal matters.
• Within the resident office, there is daily contact with partners, associates, paralegals, and office personnel at all levels. There is a moderate amount of contact with these same groups in other offices.
• Outside the Firm, there is a moderate amount of contact with clients, vendor representatives and agency personnel.
• Must be able to sit and work at a computer for extensive periods of time;
• Must be able to routinely lift and carry files and other items up to 10 pounds;
• Must be able to function in a standard office environment.
• Ability to retrieve and distribute print volumes, push and pull packages, and books weighing up to 20 pounds and ability to retrieve and replace objects from shelves of up to 8 feet high
Working Condition and Environment
• Located in a comfortable indoor area. Any unpleasant conditions would be infrequent and not objectionable.
• This position is preferably a full-time position requiring a 5-day work week and standard hours as outlined in the firm policy manual.
• Additional hours will be required when necessary to meet established deadlines or stay current with occasional peaks in workload. Flexibility in working overtime evenings and weekends as required by assigned or overflow work.
• May require local and out of town travel.
• If resident office is San Francisco, may require regular travel to the Palo Alto office.
To apply, visit this link: http://lawcruit.micronapps.com/v3/lc_supp_app_frm.aspx?lawfirm=75&id=5 .
Employer Type: Law Firm
Job Location: San Francisco or Palo Alto, California