Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. We are seeking a Director - Intellectual Property.
We are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The attorney will provide patent support functions for Merck’s Biologics and Vaccines discovery and development groups.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Draft and prosecute patent applications to protect Merck’s products, product candidates and platform technologies
- Conduct FTO analysis for products, product candidates and platform technology
- Conduct IP due diligence for corporate transactions
- Provide legal services, advice and guidance that is consistent with law and Company policy; furthers business objectives and appropriately balances divisional/function/corporate business objectives and legal risks
- Exercise judgment to drive decisions on routine and non-routine matters within area of practice
- Supervise activities and manage relationships with outside counsel
- Some domestic and international travel may be required
Education Minimum Requirement
- A bachelor's degree in the pharmaceutical, chemical or biological sciences from an accredited institution
- Graduate of an accredited US law school, with admission to the Bar of New Jersey or be eligible to obtain a limited license for in-house counsel
- Registered to practice before the USPTO
Required Experience and Skills
- Five (5) or more years as an attorney in a law firm or corporate setting, practicing in the patent area
- Strong technical background, preferably with an advance degree in biological sciences
- Excellent communication and analytical skills
Preferred Experience and Skills
- Experience in counseling clients on intellectual property issues
- Experience in managing a significant workload, with the ability to juggle multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to work in cross-functional teams
- Ability to be proactive and take initiative
Our employees are the key to our company’s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives.
To apply, please visit this link: https://merck.taleo.net/careersection/jobdetail.ftl?job=IP+000104&lang=en#.VwgRdZDPEb0.email. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Employer Type: Large Corporation
Job Location: Rahway, New Jersey