Whirlpool Corporation is seeking a Sr. Manager, Legal Counsel-Patents. This position will be responsible for providing legal counsel and services on matters involving patents, copyrights, trade secrets and other proprietary information. This position supports Whirlpool’s global product organization, including its advanced development and product engineering groups.
Advise on intellectual property issues involving patents, copyrights, trade secrets, and proprietary information. Specifically, you will help ensure Whirlpool’s unique and compelling innovations are a core driver of Whirlpool’s success. Specific responsibilities may include:
- Developing and executing patent strategies related to assigned Whirlpool technology areas.
- Reviewing inventions and advising on patentability issues and arranging for the filing and prosecution of U.S. and foreign patent applications.
- Preparing and prosecuting patent applications.
- Establishing product clearance plans and reviewing and advising on patent infringement risks.
- Supporting various innovation generation activities such as invention workshops to target development of strategic intellectual property.
- Providing intellectual property advice and training to clients.
- Drafting and assisting in the negotiation and administration of intellectual property related contracts, including confidentiality, development and license agreements, as well as assisting in negotiation of more general commercial agreements, including procurement and various service agreements.
- Investigating and pursuing patent infringement and enforcement opportunities, including patent litigation.
- Providing patent support for special projects.
- Researching intellectual property issues relevant to the company’s business.
- JD from an accredited law school, with strong academic credentials and Bar Admission, and admission to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- Technical bachelor degree, preferably electrical or mechanical engineering or related field.
- Minimum of 5 years of legal experience as an attorney. Ability to prioritize and manage a large volume of concurrent projects.
- Strong analytical, research, organization and management skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication (both written and oral) skills.
- Demonstrated ability to achieve results as a leader or member of a cross functional team.
- Ability to provide strong strategic thought to Whirlpool’s patent processes.
- Experience in patent preparation, prosecution, IP transactions (e.g., development and licensing agreements), product clearance, and patent litigation
Whirlpool Corporation (NYSE: WHR) is the world’s leading major home appliance company, with approximately $21 billion in annual sales, 92,000 employees and 70 manufacturing and technology research centers in 2017. The company markets Whirlpool, KitchenAid, Maytag, Consul, Brastemp, Amana, Bauknecht, Jenn-Air, Indesit and other major brand names in nearly every country throughout the world.
At Whirlpool Corporation, we believe that all people matter. Celebrating diversity and including thousands of perspectives empower us to create products that blend into every concept of home. Whirlpool Corporation is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
To apply, please visit this link: https://career8.successfactors.com/sfcareer/jobreqcareer?jobId=35272&company=whirlpoolc&username=.
Employer Type: Large Corporation
Job Location: St. Joseph, Michigan