Knobbe Martens provides an opportunity for engineers and scientists to further their professional growth and career development in exciting, challenging ways. Put your technical degree to work on issues involving science, technology, and the law. Candidates will assist with the successful procurement of patent protection for innovative technologies, evaluate with the designs of new products, and assist with the evaluation of competitor products.
Each client brings novel and diverse technologies to our firm. Therefore, the candidate will learn about a variety of new technologies, learn to identify inventive features, learn to describe the inventions, and learn to convince the Patent Office to allow a patent for the technology. The position also requires a candidate to possess the ability to explain and describe new technologies in a way that is concise and descriptive.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Reviewing new client technologies to determine potentially patentable features.
- Creating technical diagrams and drawings that describe the invention.
- Writing patent applications with clarity and technical accuracy.
- Reviewing issued patents.
To be successful in this position the candidate must be a strong communicator, both written and oral. The candidate must be able to work independently, with a large amount of working freedom. In addition, each candidate will eventually participate in a patent law course and become registered with the United States Patent Office.
Education and Experience:
- A Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering, computer science, or similar degree is required. An advanced degree, such as a Master's or Ph.D., is preferred.
- Must be independently motivated to succeed and measure success on a team level.
- Qualified candidates will possess exceptional oral and written communication skills.
To apply, visit this website: http://www.knobbelaw.com/viDesktop/viRecruitSelfApply/ReDefault.aspx?FilterREID=6&FilterJobCategoryID=3&FilterJobID=370. Please include a resume, cover letter, transcripts, and writing sample. The position is available for any office location. Please indicate on the application your preferred office location.
Employer Type: Law Firm
Job Location: San Diego, Irvine, Los Angeles, or San Francisco, California; New York, New York; Seattle, Washington; or Washington, D.C.