by Dennis Crouch
When listed as a potential survey response, Princeton University School of Law regularly ranks as a top-ten law school. Although Princeton actually has no law school, the Ivy League university does have a set of world class thinkers in areas of public policy, political science, and political economics. Several years after I graduated from Princeton's School of Engineering, the University founded its Center for Information Technology Policy (CITP) with Professor Ed Felton as its leader.
On Friday, May 11, 2012 I'll be returning to by alma mater for a CITP conference on patent law and policy titled: Patent Success or Failure? The America Invents Act and Beyond. Speakers include USPTO Director Kappos; CAFC Chief Judge Rader and former Chief Judge Michel; Professors Arti Rai, Colleen Chien, Jason Schultz, and myself; Joe Matel from the Senate Judiciary Committee; Dan Ravicher from PubPat; and industry leaders from industry (IBM, Google, J&J) and practice.
The event is free and open to the public. Register here: https://citp.princeton.edu/event/patent-success-or-failure/
- Later this month, I'll be speaking at the 10th Annual Rocky Mountain IP & Tech Institute in Denver. Speakers there include 9th Circuit Chief Judge Alex Kozinski, Professors Lemley & Hricik, David Donoghue, Michael Smith, Chris Mirick (my brother-in-law) and many other excellent speakers. Register here: http://ip.annualcle.com/
In June & July I'll be presenting a series of lectures at UCL-London on changes to US Patent Law and how they integrate with UK & European practice. The Rt Hon Prof. Sir Robin Jacob is chairing the event.
- June 18 – Changes to the way patents are prosecuted in the US under the AIA and other case law.
- June 28 – New issues in US patent litigation; damages; settlement processes; and the rise of "international litigation."
- July 4 – A two-part session on (1) the new administrative structure for challenging US patents and the new scope of patentable subject matter.
- You can register for one or more sessions here: http://ibil-us-patents.eventbrite.com/
Also in June, I'll be speaking at the 2012 IP Business Congress held at a resort/casino near Lisbon, Portugal. http://www.ipbusinesscongress.com/2012/About.aspx