by Grant Harrison (email@example.com)
Data Privacy: Data Privacy or Information Privacy Law is, in short, a way to regulate how companies, individuals, and governments access, use, and collect public information, usually via online. Contemporaneous information privacy law has been around since the 1970’s when the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) first released the Fair Information Practice Principles or the FIPPs, which then served as a foundation for subsequent Data Privacy laws. The principles primarily give the people the right to know when, where, what, and how our data is used and collected. It gives the people substantial transparency with the company regarding our private data and treats our data as our property so that companies must ask before doing anything with our private information. This has been huge news in the last few years because the United States is one of the only highly developed countries that has not enacted comprehensive Data Privacy regulations.
Recent Articles and Editorials:
- ( Editorial ) The Editorial Board: “Why Is America So Far Behind Europe on Digital Privacy?” https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/08/opinion/sunday/privacy-congress-facebook-google.html ( New York Times )
- Cyrus Farviar and David Ingram: “California’s new data privacy law could change the internet in the US” https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/14/california-consumer-privacy-act-could-change-the-internet-in-the-us.html ( CNBC )
- Elizabeth Schulze: “The US wants to copy Europe’s strict data privacy law – but only some of it” https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/23/gdpr-one-year-on-ceos-politicians-push-for-us-federal-privacy-law.html (CNBC )
- Bill Hochberg: “New Data Privacy Laws Could Slow The Music Business—But Might Help The Next Beatles” https://www.forbes.com/sites/williamhochberg/2019/05/28/tough-data-privacy-laws-could-cool-the-music-business–and-lead-us-to-a-new-beatles/#1091312e6eed ( Forbes )
- Ed Stacey: “Data Privacy Laws Need Rethinking To Encourage Innovation” https://www.forbes.com/sites/edstacey/2019/06/07/data-privacy-laws-need-rethinking-to-encourage-innovation/#191239e4a91a ( Forbes )