RAYSPAN®, the world's leading innovator of metamaterial air interface solutions for wireless communications, is seeking a patent attorney. As patent counsel, you will lead the RAYSPAN® IP department by identifying, securing and enforcing intellectual property protection (e.g., patents, trademarks, trade secrets) for inventions and discoveries made by our engineers and technical leaders.
• Manage and provide growth to in-house patent agents and paralegals team while overseeing in-house IP docketing system.
• Develop an IP roadmap and strategies per Rayspan’s business goals and Participate in IP-portfolio due-diligence.
• Review and prosecute provisional, non-provisional, and Trademark applications drafted by Rayspan’s patent agents. This includes drafting strong claims and responding to office actions. You will work with outside counsel to file and prosecute U.S. and foreign patent applications.
• Provide legal counseling regarding intellectual property issues, including patentability and freedom to operate.
• Protect Rayspan’s IP assets by acting as company liaison with outside law firms on behalf of Rayspan, protecting Rayspan in prosecution of US, European or other foreign applications, interferences, oppositions and litigations
• Counsel Rayspan's business and research managers in intellectual property law as part of the decision making process, and conduct IP mining by identifying research that may be subject to protection through filing of patent applications.
• Manage in-licensing of technology from universities and companies and coordinate with licensor's attorneys to develop patent strategies for licensed technology which meets Rayspan's business goals.
• Support on patent-related sections in Rayspan licensing agreements to customers.
• Review Rayspan’s technical publications, presentations, and public release of IP material prior to submission for publication.
• J.D. plus Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering or Physics, an advanced degree or experience in Radio Frequency wireless communications is desirable;
• Minimum of 7+ years of experience as an IP attorney with a law firm and/or corporation.
• Admitted to a State bar and to U.S. Patent and Trademark Office;
• Patent experience in RF wireless industry or semiconductor is a plus;
• Ability to understand business issues, particularly in the wireless cell phone industry.
• Experience with preparation and prosecution of patents (U.S. and foreign); preparation of infringement, invalidity, freedom-to-operate opinions and client counseling;
• Experience in IP licensing agreements, contracts, and negotiation is highly desirable.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, ability to work with a diverse group of people at different levels in Rayspan.
• Ability to undertake some travel as required to support domestic and international customers with IP-related matter.
• Exposure to patent litigation is a plus.
RAYSPAN® is located in sunny San Diego, California, and offers competitive compensation & benefits programs. Please submit resumes to email@example.com.
Employer Type: Small Corporation
Job Location: San Diego, California
Metamaterials provide breakthrough improvements in antenna and RF front-end component miniaturization, performance, cost reduction and ease of manufacture. Rayspan's solutions support a full range of fixed and mobile wireless WAN and LAN applications including all 2/3/4G cellular handsets, WiFi, Bluetooth and GPS.