The Intellectual Property Manager will be a member of an interdisciplinary team, working with inventors, attorneys and Metabolix management in concert with Archer Daniels Midland (ADM) the Telles Joint Venture partner. This position will facilitate the translation of technical discoveries into valuable IP rights for the company. As the IP team leader, the IP Manager will drive the capture of inventions, assist in preparation of patent applications, and monitor the intellectual property of the global polymer industry.
Serving as a resource on intellectual property matters for inventors, legal and business groups, the IP Manager will creatively extract the maximum value from new inventions through detailed analysis, knowledge of research data and the prior art in the field. Key responsibilities will be the compilation of relevant data bases, preparation of patent applications, development of competitive data bases and tracking global intellectual property.
• Interact with researchers to capture intellectual property
• Interface with internal legal group and external legal firms to drive global patent strategy
• Manage database for invention disclosures and inventions
• Perform comprehensive literature searches to identify potential prior art
• Interface with the R&D and legal departments to prioritize invention disclosures and to identify key inventions for patent protection
• Work with the inventors and others to draft patent applications
• Develop competitive intelligence process
• Perform “freedom to operate” studies for specific product applications
• Participate in due diligence with outside counsel and manage outside counsel in the evaluation and defense of patent portfolios and assets.
• Assist in drafting nondisclosure, research, license and other agreements involving the use, transfer, or ownership of IP and manage compliance of these agreements
• Industrial experience of 5 – 10 years as IP management in plastics industry
• MS. degree polymer science or related field
• Legal Degree desirable but not required
• Excellent writing, analytical and communication skills
• Organized, independent, detailed oriented, capable of working under pressure and on multiple tasks, with demonstrated ability to meet deadlines
• Enthusiastic and demonstrated ability to work well in a team environment.
• Solid understanding of the application of scientific IP to achieving business objectives
• Proven knowledge base in polymer technology and industry
• Familiarity with patent law and practice
• Ability to search patent literature
• Good interpersonal and negotiating skills
• Demonstrated skills in conflict management and the ability to resolve issues
• Excellent networking skills
Travel: Requires tavel between Lowell and Cambridge Metabolix locations along with domestic travel
Report: Reports to Director of Product Development
Employer Type: Small Corporation
Job Location: Lowell, Massachusetts