Vestas Technology R&D Americas, Inc. is seeking a patent attorney for its Houston office. The headquarters for Vestas Technology R&D is located in Houston, Texas with research offices in Boston, Massachusetts and Madison, Wisconsin. The Houston office is currently being staffed to support Vestas research efforts within the wind technology areas of structural mechanics, electrical machines and power conversion, control systems, advanced materials and aerodynamics.
The position has a dual reporting responsibility to the Vice President of Vestas Technology R&D Americas, Inc. in Houston and to the IPR Director for Global Research in Technology R&D in Arhus, Denmark.
Together with Vestas’ Corporate Legal department, the Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) Department is responsible for all IP activities involving the Headquarters Office, Business Units and Technology R&D sites globally. This includes transforming inventions into relevant patent protection, handling of third party rights, advising on IPR related issues and participating in contract negotiations related to IPR issues.
The department operates on a worldwide scale with a presence in Singapore, India, Denmark, UK and now the US. The department, led from Denmark, is part of Vestas’ global Technology R&D department.
The selected candidate will be the first IP attorney in the IPR Department to be based at Vestas Technology R&D Americas, Inc. in Houston.
Responsibilities & Tasks:
Your responsibilities and tasks will include but not be limited to:
• Invention harvesting throughout Vestas Technology R&D Americas, Inc.
• Drafting of patent applications.
• Patent prosecution.
• Assessment and advice on third party rights.
• Conducting interviews at the USPTO.
• Providing support in relation to patent related lawsuits.
• Actively participate in IP related contractual negotiations.
• Managing relationships with outside counsel on a case-by-case basis.
Educational Background & Minimum Requirements:
• Candidate must be admitted to act before the US Patent and Trademark Office.
• Candidate must possess Doctor of Jurisprudence (J.D.) Degree.
• Candidate must have 3 to 7 years of IP experience from industry or private practice.
• Candidate also must possess a BSEE, BSAE or Physics Degree.
• Candidate must have excellent communication skills, be proactive and driven to obtain results.
What We Offer:
This is an outstanding opportunity to be in an industry where your decisions will have an impact on tomorrow’s world. Vestas offers a demanding, yet rewarding- position that will challenge you professionally. On a personnel level, you will be challenged to engage and communicate with colleagues on all levels. IP involves people from the shop floor to top management and has global impact. At Vestas, personal initiative is very much appreciated. You will be part of an organization where communication with co-workers is informal and effective, both positive and supportive, and the work ethic is very goal-oriented.
Please submit your confidential resume to email@example.com. Please include the job title in your subject line. Following receipt of your resume, please allow five business days for review and follow-up.
The primary work location is at our new Vestas Technology R&D Americas Headquarters which is located at 1111 Bagby Street, Suite 2100, Houston, Texas, 77002.
Vestas is an equal opportunity employer.
Employer Type: Large Corporation
Job Location: Houston, Texas
Vestas offers you challenging, global opportunities for career growth. As the world leader in modern energy, our wind turbines reduce CO² emissions by 40 million tons per year. We are more than 20,000 employees representing 56 nationalities and we are eager to welcome new colleagues. Care to join us?