NXP is seeking a Sr. Patent Attorney, IP and Licensing to work in its Intellectual Property & Licensing group.
This is a unique opportunity to be a thought leader and technology strategist in the competitive semiconductor industry. As a senior member of the NXP Semiconductors legal team, the Senior Patent Attorney’s primary role will involve enhancing and managing NXP Semiconductors’ U.S. and international IP Transactions and Creation program including defining and executing the company’s patent retention process, patent value exploration, geographic footprint; providing focus in the creation of patents, overseeing all prosecution activities; advise on patent-related transactional matters and licensing opportunities.
This position reports from a line mgt point of view to the VP &GM of the IP&L department and from a functional point of view to the managers of the Transactions and Creation groups.. This attorney will partner with the business and technology managers of NXP Semiconductors and other business units to implement patent and related IP strategies for increasing the value of XNP’s IP portfolio. This will involve developing a deep understanding of the company’s business plans, its technology directions, and a working knowledge of its existing patent portfolio. This will also require a deep understanding of the competitive semiconductor industry. The attorney is responsible for the day to day management of all the work product of other attorneys in the department and that of outside counsel.
• Lead and manage the local IP&L team, manage strategy for NXP and provide advice and strategic tactical
• Counsel business, design and development team members on a wide variety of IP issues, including patentability, non-infringement or invalidity opinions.
• Forecast and track budget matters.
• Provide advice and support on IP value extraction and licensing matters.
• Manage current portfolio
• Ensure align portfolio in future, Etc
• Provide comprehensive IP support and drive IP issues in M&A transactions
• Advice businesses on, and draft and negotiate IP provisions in commercial (customer, supplier) and technology collaboration contracts
• Provide real-time, practical IP advice, particularly in support of day-to-day operations, e.g. contract interpretation, and SW and OSS practices and issues
Office manager US IP&L group
Setting the norm, Adherence to:
• Local regulations and Law
• Normal work ethos
• Atmosphere at work, respect towards others
• Individual behavioral aspects
• Local NXP policies with respect to taking leave, sick days etc.
• As such the office manager does have signatory authority.
Work related activities:
• Competency aspects are dealt with by the functional manager
• Limiting factors, infra structure breakdown: depending on office manager’s judgment
• Executive presence and a leadership style that attracts/fosters confidence and respect of NXP executives, business teams, senior technical personnel and the members of the legal department including direct reports
• Ability to deeply understand, clearly articulate and promote the strategic significance of the company’s IP program relative to NXP’s business strategies and plans
• Undergraduate degree in a relevant technology
• 10 – 15+ years experience in legal practice dealing with patent matters
• Registration with the USPTO and licensed to practice in the U.S.
• Outstanding client service mentality (proactive, immediately responsive; superb interpersonal skills)
• A combination of law firm and in-house experience• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Proven record of building cross-functional relationships and fostering teamwork and collaboration
• Strong negotiation skills
• International experience a plus
Skills & Competencies:
• Possess the ability to succeed in a culture based on collaboration and consensus management;
• Possess the ability to develop and maintain long-term, effective working relationships at all levels of the company (excellent interpersonal skills);
• Be able to fully appreciate and help shape the “big picture” while maintaining excellent attention to detail;
• Be a proven self-starter, innovative problem-solver, and results-oriented lawyer who operates under minimal supervision;
• Possess the ability to organize and prioritize tasks, handle high-pressure situations and deadlines, and render practical advice in a timely fashion;
• Exhibit a high degree of integrity, discretion, confidence, motivation, and resourcefulness;
• Be able to adapt to changing situations and handle a wide range of legal issues;
• Possess excellent communication, drafting and negotiation skills;
• Prior successful experience managing, motivating and developing other attorneys and staff
• Travel internationally
Apply online by using this link: http://careers.peopleclick.com/careerscp/client_nxp/external/gateway.do?functionName=viewFromLink&jobPostId=21994&localeCode=en-us.
Employer Type: Large Corporation
Job Location: San Jose, California
NXP Semiconductors N.V. (NASDAQ: NXPI) provides High Performance Mixed Signal and Standard Product solutions that leverage its leading RF, Analog, Power Management, Interface, Security, Digital Processing and Manufacturing expertise. These innovations are used in a wide range of automotive, industrial, consumer, lighting, medical, computing and identification applications. A global semiconductor company with operations in more than 25 countries, NXP posted revenue of USD 4.2 billion in 2011. Additional information can be found by visiting www.nxp.com.