Chromocell seeks an experienced Patent Agent who has earned a Ph.D. or minimum Masters’ Degree in chemistry, biology or a related field (organic/medicinal chemistry education/experience preferred). The ideal candidate will be registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office or previous work experience at USPTO. This is a unique opportunity to be the only patent agent onsite, interfacing with scientists and key stakeholders on a daily basis.
- Assist with maintenance of the existing patent and trademark estates.
- Review applications, office actions responses, amendments and other prosecution documents drafted by outside counsel.
- Draft applications, office action responses, amendments and other prosecution documents for patents managed in house.
- Participate in and help formulate intellectual property and patent strategy with business and legal team and, in support of key collaborations.
- Assist with IP-related services in support of the company’s business and research activities, including: searching and providing guidance/opinions regarding patentability, freedom-to-operate, patent invalidity and non-infringement, performing due diligence, and managing procurement of opinions by outside counsel.
- Patent summaries and analysis in support of research efforts.
- Depending on interest, opportunity to assist with agreements relating to a variety of intellectual property matters, including confidentiality agreements, consulting agreements, collaboration and licensing agreements, as well as trademark and copyright prosecution.
- Supervise paralegal’s docketing and maintenance of existing patent portfolio.
- Other duties as may be assigned.
Desired Skills and Experience
- 3 years patent experience at a law firm or in-house with a biotechnology, pharmaceutical or flavors company.
- Ph.D. or minimum Masters’ Degree in a chemistry, biology or a related field (organic/medicinal chemistry education/experience preferred).
- Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office or previous work experience at USPTO.
- Read, analyze, and interpret scientific and technical journals, scientific data, patent documents, governmental regulations, and legal documents.
- Draft well-organized and understandable patent applications and persuasive responses to office actions.
- Prepare concise and understandable written and oral summaries and recommendations for IP strategy for the scientific, business and legal staff.
- Work as a team member with employees in other departments, with different educational backgrounds and job responsibilities.
- Responsive, dependable, flexible and attention to detail.
- Flavors experience a plus.
To apply, please visit this link: http://chc.tbe.taleo.net/chc01/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=CHROMOCELL&cws=1&rid=292.
Employer Type: Small Corporation
Job Location: North Brunswick, New Jersey