Knobbe Martens is seeking a Patent Scientist (Bioinformatics) to work in its San Diego office. We provide an opportunity for engineers and scientists to further their professional growth and career development in exciting, challenging ways. Put your technical degree to work on issues involving science, technology, and the law.
The candidate will assist with the successful procurement of patent protection for innovative technologies, evaluate the designs of new products, and assist with the evaluation of competitor products.
Each client brings novel and diverse technologies to our firm. Therefore, the candidate will learn about a variety of new technologies, learn to identify inventive features, learn to describe the inventions, and learn to convince the Patent Office to allow a patent for the technology. The position also requires a candidate to possess the ability to explain and describe new technologies in a way that is concise and descriptive.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Reviewing new client technologies to determine potentially patentable features.
- Writing patent applications with clarity and technical accuracy.
- Drafting persuasive responses to patent office rejections.
- Reviewing issued patents.
To be successful in this position the candidate must be a strong communicator, both written and oral. The candidate must be able to work independently, with a large amount of working freedom. In addition, each candidate will eventually participate in a patent law course and become registered with the United States Patent Office.
Education and Experience:
- M.S. or Ph.D. degree in bioinformatics or computational biology is required (Ph.D. or 3+ years of relevant industry experience preferred).
- At least one year of patent prosecution experience is required (specific experience in bioinformatics, data analytics and/or computer software/systems preferred).
- Must be independently motivated to succeed and measure success on a team level.
- Qualified candidates will possess exceptional oral and written communication skills.
- Preference is for the San Diego office location.
Apply online by visiting this link: http://www.knobbelaw.com/viDesktop/viRecruitSelfApply/ReDefault.aspx?FilterREID=6&FilterJobCategoryID=3&FilterJobID=271. Please include resume/CV, cover letter as well as undergraduate and graduate transcripts.
Employer Type: Law Firm
Job Location: San Diego, California