Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP is seeking an experienced life science focused Patent Agent to join its North Carolina IP practice office. The position can be based out of Katten’s Charlotte office or working remotely near North Carolina’s technology-rich Research Triangle Park in Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill or surrounding areas. Katten has a very active IP practice that deals with some of the most complex and interesting life science technologies which include pharmaceuticals, biologics, chemistry, biotechnology, AgBio and material science. This position requires sensitivity to client needs and the ability to support lasting client relationships.
Successful candidates must be admitted to practice before the USPTO, capable of working independently, be proactive, enjoy learning about new technologies and must be capable of working both on her/his own as well as a part of a team. An advanced degree in the chemical or biological arts is required. Katten provides a dynamic, team-oriented, solution-focused environment of dedicated professionals; and this is an opportunity to be a part of one of the fastest growing IP practices in North Carolina.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include, but may not be limited to, the following. Other duties may be requested and/or assigned. Essential functions are primary job duties that an individual must be able to perform successfully with or without a reasonable accommodation. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Client billable hour requirement: 1,700 hours annually (142 client billable hours average per month).
Draft applications and responses to office actions for US and foreign applications.
Support the Firm’s attorneys in the technical aspects of post-grant proceedings (PGRs, IPRs, reissues and reexamination, appeals), invalidity and non-infringement opinions, due diligence (including freedom to operate studies), and ANDA and life sciences litigation.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Masters or Ph.D. degree in chemistry, biology or related field with 2-3 years of experience as a registered patent agent prosecuting patent applications in the life sciences space. Applicable knowledge and understanding of all components of U.S. and foreign patent principles, rules and regulations and experience working with the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
- Computer proficient with experience and working knowledge of Westlaw and other patent-related databases, Internet research, due diligence, Excel, Outlook and MS Word preferred.
- Excellent analytical, technical, and critical-thinking skills requiring an aptitude for detail, precision, and logic with comprehensive knowledge of patent requirements and regulations in order to analyze and research patent-related data, process information, conduct legal research and perform essential duties.
- Exhibit high degree of initiative in exercising independent judgment in order to organize and manage multiple priorities simultaneously in a fast-paced, deadline-driven, detail-oriented work environment, ensure work is completed within strict deadlines and make decisions based upon results of research.
- Excellent organizational skills including record keeping, data collection, and system information. Ability to compile and analyze data and furnish concise, detailed information in report format, written correspondence, e‑mail or verbally.
- Ability to occasionally retrieve and distribute files, written documentation and copies, or office supplies weighing up to 20 pounds.
- Work occasionally requires more than 37.5 hours per week to perform the essential duties of the position
- Ability and availability to travel to other Firm locations when required.
We offer an outstanding benefit package which includes: medical/dental/vision, 401k with employer contribution; transportation fringe benefit program; back-up care option; generous paid time off policy; and long-term and short-term disability policies.
Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP is an Equal Opportunity Employer/AA-M/F/SO/Disability/
To apply, please visit this website: https://chp.tbe.taleo.net/
Employer Type: Law Firm
Job Location: Charlotte, North Carolina (remote option available for candidates located in the Raleigh, North Carolina area)