Marshall, Gerstein & Borun LLP is a Chicago-based intellectual property law firm having over 85 attorneys, highly qualified patent agents, and technical specialists, all dedicated to providing superior intellectual property counseling. We specialize in prosecution and litigation in all areas of intellectual property law. We litigate nationwide, primarily within the federal court system, and obtain patents and trademark registrations for our clients in the United States and foreign patent and trademark offices.
We are currently seeking a talented individual to join our biotechnology and life sciences practice group as a Patent Agent.
- Strong academic credentials, which should minimally include a Ph.D. in Biotechnology, Molecular Biology or related field. Candidates should have obtained a 3.0 GPA at all levels of education.
- Admission to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- A minimum of 2 years of intellectual property prosecution experience working in a legal environment, but preferably not more than 5 years of experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and exceptional organizational skills.
- Ability to grasp new technical teachings quickly.
- Ability to efficiently review patent and non-patent literature for key concepts.
- Interviewing inventors to learn about new ideas to be patented. Our clients include some of the world’s largest and most technologically advanced companies.
- Preparing and prosecuting patent applications relating to biotechnology inventions, occasionally participating in patent litigation to provide technical support, and performing related client counseling tasks.
- Advocating for our clients before the U.S. Patent Trademark Office to seek issuance of a patent. This includes writing and amending claims for the patent application, as well as analyzing patents and other publications relating to biotechnology inventions.
- This position demands that the individual will, under the supervision of senior practitioners, assume significant client responsibilities, provide high-quality services to domestic and foreign clients, communicate with all levels of management and staff and, at times, require a significant degree of autonomy.
Compensation for this position includes an annual salary highly competitive within the Chicago market at the experience level specified herein, along with customary benefits and opportunities to earn significant bonuses.
- Group Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Employee and Dependent Medical Flexible Spending Account
- Health Savings Account
- Life Insurance and AD&D
- Accident and Critical Illness Plans
- Short-Term Disability Program
- Long-Term Disability Insurance
- 401(K), Profit Sharing and Vesting
- Pre-Tax Transportation Plan
- Identify Theft Protection
- Employee Assistance Program
- Voluntary Pet Insurance
- Bright Horizons-Back-Up Child, Adult, and Elder Care
- Stipend and Interest Free Loan Program (for law school students)
- Moving Expenses
- Bar Fees and Related Expenses
- Continuing Legal Education
- Holiday and Paid Time Off
In addition to our generous benefits package, Marshall, Gerstein & Borun offers a business-casual atmosphere and provides ample opportunity for socialization between our colleagues at monthly breakfasts, special-occasion luncheons, and out-of-office functions throughout the year. Patent Agents are also provided a generously sized office and a culture that offers great work-life balance.
Qualified individuals interested in this position should forward a curriculum vitae, transcripts and writing samples to Michele J. Gudaitis at email@example.com. Please include graduate and undergraduate transcripts.
Employer Type: Law Firm
Job Location: Chicago, Illinois