Buchanan Ingersoll & Rooney PC is currently searching for a Section Director - IP to join our Alexandria, VA office. This position will work closely with Section leaders to grow and manage the business aspects of the Section. Responsibilities include managing the day-to-day operations of the Section and practice groups, playing a prominent role in the execution of the Section strategic plan and lateral hiring; providing financial management and business planning; providing workload management of associates and paralegals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement strategic business and recruiting plans.
- Analyze Section performance (both financial and operational) on various reports and recommend avenues for increasing Section efficiency and profitability.
- Prepare various action item reports for Section management, in areas including but not limited to WIP, A/R, and monthly performance by office, monthly realization and monthly workload; implement action items as directed by Section leadership.
- Analyze Section performance (both financial and operational), develop and implement strategies to increase profitability, expand practice capabilities and continually improve Section operations.
- Oversee Docketing, New Applications and the Foreign Filing Department, i.e., sets the expectations for administrators and supervisors, holds staff accountable for quantity and quality of work product, drives efficiency and innovative approaches, and intervenes on issues between Department members, attorneys and Practice Assistants.
- Manage work flow for associates and paralegals of the Section. Direct supervision of paralegals.
- Administer evaluation and compensation processes for associates and paralegals, in conjunction with the Human Resources & Talent Management Department and related Firm-level committees.
- Serve as a liaison with other Practice Groups/Sections to generate cross-section utilization and expand business development opportunities. Serve as a primary liaison to the Administrative Departments on behalf of the Section.
- Assist in the recruitment and integration of legal and non-legal staff.
- Support the Section and Practice Group Leadership in implementing the attorney and paralegal professional development plans. As needed, serve as a liaison with the Human Resources & Talent Management Department in coordinating in-house continuing legal education programs, marketing programs and other professional development activities.
- Facilitate communication between Section leadership and members.
- Administer annual budget, Section business plans and progress reports.
- Draft/analyze alternative fee arrangements consistent with Firm, Section and client objectives.
- Assist in planning and coordinating of Section events such as Section retreat, lunch meetings, shareholder and associate meetings and client receptions.
- Assist with conflict of interest issues for the Section.
- Assist Business Development and Marketing Department with business development and marketing efforts.
- Bachelor's degree with focus in Business or Finance.
- Master’s degree or Juris Doctorate degree, a plus.
- At least five (5) years of experience in a law firm.
- Strong leadership, management and problem-solving skills.
- Previous supervisory experience.
- Intellectual Property industry knowledge, a plus.
- Ability to read, write, and interpret business documents.
- Strong financial analysis skills.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to solve practical problems with limited standardization.
- Proficient in computer applications, specifically with FoundationIP and other practice-specific technology.
- Knowledge of common legal practices.
- Ability to handle multiple demands and priorities.
Buchanan Ingersoll & Rooney offers an outstanding benefit package that includes:
- 401K Program
- Pension Profit Sharing Program
- Paid Time Off
- Paid Holidays
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Apply online at:
Please include a resume with your submission.
Employer Type: Law Firm
Job Location: Alexandria, VA