The Coca-Cola Company is seeking a Patent Manager to work in its Atlanta, Georgia offices. Reporting to the Head of Intellectual Property, the Patent Manager is responsible for developing and implementing all aspects of the Company's patent strategy in support of key business objectives. The individual will work closely with senior management and research and development leaders across multiple technology areas to identify patentable assets and to develop and implement strategies for obtaining patent protection. The individual will also guide activities to ensure that the existing portfolio continues to support evolving business objectives. The Patent Manager will supervise a small team of in-house patent agents and outside counsel in US and foreign patent procurement activities. The individual will also provide advice and counseling to business and scientific stakeholders on a day-to-day basis, including opinions and competitive assessments. The individual will also lead efforts to educate! scientific and business leaders on the role of patent protection in advancing business goals.
• Guide the development and implementation of the Company's global patent strategy working closely with key business and scientific stakeholders
• Supervise a team of in-house patent agents responsible for drafting, filing, prosecuting and maintaining US and foreign patent applications
• Provide day-to-day advice and client counseling, as well as more formal opinion work including patentability, validity, non-infringement and freedom to operate opinions
• Identify third party patent portfolios of strategic relevance and formulate appropriate strategies for response
• Support M&A activity involving technology-based companies
• Conduct outreach to business and scientific stakeholders on the role of patents in supporting business advantage
• Manage costs and implement cost containment measurements associated with patent procurement and maintenance
• Other responsibilities and key result areas will be assigned as required
Education & Experience:
• Juris doctor (JD) admitted to practice law in at least one state
• Current registration to practice before the USPTO with at least an undergraduate degree in engineering, materials science, organic or polymer chemistry or other relevant technical degree
• At least seven (7) years of experience in global patent prosecution and client counseling with a law firm and/or in-house legal department
• At least four (4) years of experience in management of attorneys, patent agents and foreign law firms in procurement activities
• Demonstrated ability to participate in a multidisciplinary team composed of scientists, business development teams and attorneys or patent agents
• Outstanding English oral and written communication skills
• High level of motivation with an ability to work independently
• Excellent interpersonal skills a documented ability to contribute as a team player
• Strong management skills
• Computer skills
• Commitment to continuous learning and development
• Customer service and results-oriented
Job Profile Function Specific Activities:
• Provide legal/tax and/or business advice to associates with respect to day-to-day operations.
• Develop legal subject matter expertise in relevant practice area(s).
• Collaborate with outside counsel by communicating objectives, providing strategic direction and providing ongoing information and support in order to meet expectations and achieve Company objectives.
• Review work products of outside counsel to ensure product quality and met expectations.
• Review, edit and comment on agreements drafted by others (e.g., direct reports, business clients, other Company lawyers, counterparties).
• Juris Doctor Degree or equivalent work experience
Related Work Experience:
• At least 5 years
• Drives Innovative Business Improvements: Develops new insights into solutions that result in organizational improvements; promotes a work environment that fosters creative thinking, innovation and rational risk-taking.
• Balances Immediate and Long-Term Priorities: Seeks to meet critical objectives while considering the impact of those decisions and activities on the ability to achieve long-term goals.
• Focuses on the critical few objectives that add the most value and channels own and others' energy to consistently deliver results that meet or exceed expectations.
• Imports and Exports Good Ideas: Relentlessly seeks, shares and adopts ideas and best practices in and outside the Company and embraces change introduced by others.
Develops and Inspires Others:
• Builds and maintains relationships that motivate, guide, and/or reinforce the performance of others toward goal accomplishments. Develops self and others to improve performance in current role and to prepare for future roles; seeks and provides feedback and coaching to enhance performance.
• Legal Advice. Ability to develop and effectively communicate sound legal advice and/or analysis, including the suggestion of alternative business solutions and best practices while taking into account
client's role, objectives and risk tolerance.
• Client Objectives and Risks. Ability to determine and understand client objectives and risk tolerance. Includes knowledge of methods and/or techniques used to determine to identify objectives or risk tolerance and ability to incorporate the information in making legal decisions.
• Contract Drafting and Interpretation. Ability to synthesize business terms and incorporate legal protections into a binding agreement. Includes knowledge of proper content of agreements and ability to understand and evaluate terms and contract language proposed by counterparties to determine items that are and are not negotiable.
• Contract Law - Basic. Basic knowledge of contract law. Includes knowledge of and ability to understand basic terms and concepts.
• Contractual Relationships. Ability to understand Company's contractual relationships with bottlers, customers, suppliers, sponsorship properties and other counter-parties. Includes knowledge of the implications that such relationships have on the Company's strategic decision-making and freedom to act.
Apply online by visiting this link: http://careers.peopleclick.com/careerscp/client_cocacola/external/gateway.do?functionName=viewFromLink&jobPostId=50726&localeCode=en-us.
Employer Type: Large Corporation
Job Location: Atlanta, Georgia