BASF is seeking an IP Counsel to work in Florham Park, New Jersey. Under general supervision and direction of an Assistant General Counsel - Intellectual Property, the successful candidate will function as the primary patent practitioner for BASF's Care Chemicals business in the North American Region and directly interface with business and technical teams from several former Cognis-based business divisions in North America including Formulation Technologies, Home andPersonal Care, and Mining, as well as coordinating with in-house BASF SE European attorneys.
The successful candidate will coordinate intellectual property activities for Care Chemicals businesses, including all aspects of legal protection for patents, trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets, domain names and software developed by BASF Corporation. Will have regular and close interactions with business and technical teams to understand and offer directions on patent issues. Draft and prosecute patent applications in the U.S., and oversee the prosecution of corresponding world wide patent applications. The position will also support BASF North American trademark counsel. The position is located at BASF Corporation's US headquarters in Florham Park, New Jersey so the candidate should be willing to relocate to Florham Park, New Jersey. This position also involves travel as needed to R&D sites in Ambler, Pennsylvania; Cincinnati, Ohio; and Tucson, Arizona.
• Law degree from ABA accredited institution
• BS in chemistry, chemical engineering, materials science, or materials engineering
• Admitted to practice law in at least one state (preferably New Jersey) and in the United States Patent and Trademark Office
• 8 years of experience practicing before the USPTO
• Knowledge of the full range of applicable laws and regulations regarding intellectual property
• Ability to provide competent legal advice and counsel to business and technical clients on a wide range of intellectual property issues
• Ability to communicate technical information to non-technical personnel. Knowledge of the legal issues, procedures and documentation associated with patents, copyrights and trademarks and licensing arrangements
• Knowledge of laws and conventions surrounding employee duty of loyalty/non-competition, confidentiality and trade secrets, as applicable to intellectual property.
• Ability to develop and implement legal strategies and solutions. Knowledge of the principles and procedures of legal research
• Ability to analyze and interpret issues and to prepare legal opinions. Knowledge of corporate policies and procedures, regulations and bylaws, and the legal environment within which they operate. Ability to communicate and interact with officials at all levels of business and government. Knowledge of the judicial system and procedures.
• Negotiating skills. Knowledge of organizational structure, workflow, and operating procedures of in-house intellectual property function
• Experienced in patent and know-how licensing
• Knowledge of US patent infringement litigation and ITC proceedings
The successful candidate must at be a self-starter, be a team player, work well with other patentprofessionals and support staff excellent organizational skills, excellent communication skills excellent writing skills, be able to exhibit high-level problem-solving skills to review and evaluate legaland/or business problems, and recommend constructive solutions, know how to use the USPTO's Publicand Private PAIR systems for checking on the status of filed patent applications.
To apply, use this link: https://basf.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl?lang=en&job=111986
Employer Type: Large Corporation
Job Location: Florham Park, N.J.