The Mount Sinai Health System is seeking an Assistant Director Intellectual Property. The Assistant Director, Intellectual Property ('ADIP') for Mount Sinai's Innovation Partners team ('MSIP') is responsible for assisting the Director – Intellectual Property & Asset Development in developing and executing intricate and complex patent strategy decisions made regularly to pursue the School of Medicine's mission to deliver healing inventions and discoveries to the worldwide patient population. Working closely with the Faculty inventors, Business Development Directors, and outside counsel, the ADIP actively participates in and directs the evaluation of new technology disclosures; counsels stakeholders regarding the patentability of these technologies, the scope and content of any claims, and the science/data required to enhance the technology and secure patent protection.
A successful ADIP is expert at crafting complex patent claims and understanding the science and data required to enhance those claims. Manages competing priorities, sets/adheres to deadlines, facilitates productivity and quick turnaround and develops and supervises patent administration staff. The ADIP has primary responsibility for the patent-related data in Inteum (the system of record), patent files, and patent prosecution and maintenance processes and systems.
This position reports to: Director, Intellectual Property and Asset Development.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists in directing the comprehensive evaluation(s) of incoming technology disclosures, and helps to determine the patentability of the technology and the scope of claims and geographic/market territories to pursue.
- Directs the day-to-day operations of the patent administration function – sets goals, supervises performance, garners resources, removes barriers and contributes to the growth and professional development of the staff.
- Conducts prior art searches, freedom to operate searches, and other relevant patent diligence activities and analyzes results. Prepares summaries for purposes of technology review assessments.
- Participates in weekly MSIP decision meetings and prepares draft claim sets to facilitate evaluation of the commercial potential of technologies and paths to market.
- Assists in the patent strategy development process for classes of intellectual property assets, including tangible research materials, diagnostics and devices.
- Works with Business Development Directors on patent prosecution matters and evaluating recommendations of outside counsel.
- Provides instruction to outside law firms as necessary to facilitate allowance of patent claims and reduce costs.
- Reviews and approves the engagement of and payment to outside patent counsel.
- Other duties as assigned.
What You’ll Bring
- Law Degree (J.D.); board admission in good standing in either New York or New Jersey
- Master of Science; Ph.D. (preferred)
- 10 years technology transfer or other intellectual property experience and/or law firm experience in patent prosecution
- U.S. Registered Patent Attorney/Agent
- Highly organized with demonstrated ability to establish appropriate priorities.
- Ability to work independently without supervision.
- Flexibility and ability to manage numerous tasks concurrently and ability to act cooperatively with many individuals.
- Detail oriented and ability to perform with accuracy.
- Positive, energetic, team-oriented with a professional outlook.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Customer Service
- Goal Orientation
- Influence and Persuasion
- Time Management
Do you share our dedication to extraordinary service and have what it takes to wear the badge? Apply now!
Who We Are
Over 35,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai Roosevelt, Mount Sinai St. Luke's, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is committed to the tenets of diversity and workforce that are strengthened by the inclusion of and respect for our differences. We offer our employees a highly competitive compensation and benefits package, a 403(b) retirement plan, and much more.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation. EOE Minorities/Women/Disabled/
Apply online via this link: http://careers.mountsinai.org/find-your-place/position/assistant-director-intellectual-property.
Employer Type: Education
Job Location: New York, New York