Capital One’s legal department is looking for two talented and dynamic patent attorneys to join its fast-growing patent team. Members of our patent team are working to develop and implement an enterprise-wide patent strategy and to create a culture of inventor engagement and excitement. It’s audacious work at a massive scale. If you are inquisitive, collaborative, and enthusiastic about technology, come join us!
We are looking for someone who:
- is an outstanding patent attorney with experience in preparing and prosecuting software or electrical applications; the successful candidate will be responsible for protecting Capital One’s inventions and helping shape Capital One’s enterprise-wide patent strategy.
- can proactively engage various teams across the enterprise to identify patentable innovations, run invention disclosure meetings and invention harvesting sessions, and provide education and training to technical teams.
- can independently counsel clients and provide practical legal advice on a wide range of patent and IP transactional issues, including advising on matters related to litigation, open source software, licensing, and acquisition.
- is an excellent verbal and written communicator; the successful candidate will need to feel comfortable presenting in front of inventors, colleagues, and stakeholders, and will need to be able to communicate complex legal concepts in a clear and simple way that fosters trust and respect.
- can demonstrate sound judgment even in novel situations, and can understand business goals in a way that helps them evaluate risk effectively and provide practical legal advice.
- has excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and the ability to prioritize effectively to meet deadlines or business goals.
- is creative and not afraid to try something new to raise the bar and improve experiences with teammates, inventors, and stakeholders; the successful candidate takes pride in their work and wants to add value outside of the day-to-day expectations of the role.
- can create friendly and collaborative working relationships, particularly with their teammates, the rest of the legal department, internal clients, and outside counsel. A good sense of humor and an interest in having fun at work are pluses!
- At least 3 years of experience drafting and prosecuting patent applications.
- Juris Doctor and membership in good standing in at least one state bar.
- Registered to practice before the US Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO).
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Electrical Engineering.
- Experience with providing intellectual property transactional counseling, including experience with university collaboration agreements, joint development agreements, licensing agreements, and M&A due diligence.
- Experience with IP issues in open source, including the IP impact of open source contributions and familiarity with widely used open source licenses.
- Experience as a software developer or hardware engineer.
- Experience with financial technologies (Fintech).
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
To apply, please visit this website: https://capitalone.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/Capital_One/job/Vienna-VA/Senior-Manager--Patents-Counsel_R34532.
Employer Type: Large Corporation
Job Location: Vienna, Virginia