Edell, Shapiro & Finnan LLC, an established IP law firm, is seeking a patent attorney to join its Gaithersburg, MD office.
- Draft patent applications for U.S.-based and some non-U.S.-based companies.
- Meet in-person or virtually with inventors, discuss the technology, and draft patent applications.
- Understand a wide range of technologies, or be able to quickly get up to speed on technologies.
- Prosecute patent applications before the USPTO, including conducting examiner interviews, filing responses, appeals, etc.
- Instruct non-U.S.-based law firms in the prosecution of patent applications in various countries outside the U.S.
- Conduct patentability, infringement/clearance and validity studies, and related client counseling and opinion rendering.
- Participate in IPR proceedings at USPTO.
- Communicate with outside counsel in connection with all activities mentioned above.
- Work in a wide range of technologies including wired and wireless networks and devices, wireless communication protocol technologies, media communication systems, network security, optical networks and devices, as well as medical electronic devices, and database systems.
A successful applicant must possess:
- At least 2 years of substantial patent application drafting experience, particularly in the technology areas listed above;
- Registration as a U.S. patent attorney and knowledge of U.S. patent practice and procedures;
- J.D. degree from an accredited law school and a license to practice in at least one U.S. state;
- Excellent academic credentials;
- Strong writing, communication, organizational and analytical skills; and
Undergraduate focus areas in electrical engineering, physics or computer science.
To apply email email@example.com. Please submit your resume, writing sample, and transcripts.
Employer Type: Law Firm
Job Location: Maryland