Under 37 CFR 1.77 the specification should include the following sections, in order:
- Title of the invention.
- Cross-reference to related applications.
- Statement regarding federally sponsored research or development.
- The names of the parties to a joint research agreement.
- Reference to a “Sequence Listing,” a table, or a computer program listing appendix submitted on a compact disc and an incorporation-by-reference.
- Background of the invention.
- Brief summary of the invention.
- Brief description of the several views of the drawing.
- Detailed description of the invention.
- A claim or claims.
- Abstract of the disclosure.
- “Sequence Listing,” if on paper (see §§ 1.821 through 1.825).
These sections may be identified in the application by section headings in uppercase but without underlining or bold type.
As you develop your style of patent drafting, it is useful to occasionally look back to the rules of practice to ensure that you are still following them.
Do you have comments on the recent trend to eliminate various sections — such as the summary of the invention.